We need to make thoughtful infrastructure choices affecting a significant portion of the Internet. Hardware we work with includes servers, routers, switches, optical equipment, power distribution units, cables, optics, and more. As a Network Hardware Engineer, you will work with colleagues on the Hardware Engineering, Network Operations, and Hardware Sourcing teams to evaluate and inform decisions around new networking equipment.What you'll do
- Develop systems for Cloudflare’s next generation of network hardware. Examples of network hardware that Cloudflare purchases are: switches, routers, line cards, metro optical/line systems, optics/transceivers.
- Experiment with different designs and solutions for Cloudflare’s network hardware and work cross-functionally with Network Engineering and Hardware Sourcing to enact your suggestions globally
- Work with vendors to obtain, debug, and maintain the most efficient and effective next-generation network hardware and software for Cloudflare’s workload
- Develop tools and automation to evaluate network hardware performance
- Partner with engineers in the Network Engineering, Network Operations, Datacenter Engineering, and Observability teams to make informed decisions about hardware strategy
- Communicate your results and updates through blog posts, internal talks, and tickets
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Extensive experience with networking hardware architecture, validation, performance benchmarking, debug, and deployment
- Previous experience in testing, measuring, and/or simulating hardware performance and an understanding of no-stone-left-unturned experimentation
- Deep knowledge of network engineering and protocols used in data center switching and routing, Internet routing, and optical line systems.
- Track record of driving engineering projects from idea to experiment to implementation
- Demonstrated success in working with ODMs and technology vendors
- Professional-level proficiency in Python, Go, or similar programming and/or scripting languages
- Experience with white-box network switches and open source projects such as openswitch.net
- Experience with Juniper equipment, especially the QFX, PTX, and/or MX series
- Operational experience as a network engineer in a hyperscale cloud infrastructure
- In-depth knowledge of platforms (ASICs, TCAMs, etc).