At Modernize Home Services (a QuinStreet vertical) our mission is to simplify home improvement by inspiring motivated homeowners and connecting them with qualified contractors. Our foundation is based on 10 years as a driving force as Home Improvement Leads in online lead generation – connecting homeowners with high–quality contractors – in the $300 billion annually grossing home improvement market. We’re working hard on a new brand and new products to cater to homeowners and the most successful contractors in the industry.
We’re looking for sharp, motivated individuals to join our growing team. Teammates who enjoy using technology to solve problems will thrive in our dynamic startup environment. We have an open floor plan that encourages the entire team to participate in critical discussions and allows everyone to be a vital contributing factor. You’ll enjoy our hip, newly renovated office in the heart of downtown with a view of the capital and the downtown skyline.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: As a company, we’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and will continue to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Modernize Home Services is looking to hire a like-minded software engineer; who strives for success, thinks critically, and enjoys building great products! In this position, you will research, design, build, test, deploy, and maintain web services, applications, and other backend processes that support marketing operations to both homeowners and home services contractors. Your knowledge of databases, PHP, and scalable design practices will be put to the test as you build out services that optimize the experience of millions of online users. Working in a tight-knit team environment, you will participate in design discussions, code reviews, sprint planning, and deployments. Our current code base is predominantly Laravel-Docker running in AWS, so we seek applicants that have experience in a similar ecosystem.
- Assist in translating business requirements into software designs, implementation schedules, and deployment strategies
- Implement software modules, database schemas, deployment and migration scripts
- Define new features, ensuring a high performing and scalable user experience in the cloud
- Collaborate with peers on technical design, work estimation and feature implementation on data model, business logic, and user interfaces
- Participate in sprint planning by understanding the effort, risk, and priority of remaining work committed to a software release
- Perform peer code reviews and collaborate with team to improve overall code quality
- Contribute ideas for continually improving the team's productivity, release quality, and job enjoyment
- 3+ years’ experience in software development (PHP required, Python a plus)
- Experience working with a cloud environment, AWS preferred
- SQL experience, MySQL preferred
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and translate complex information to internal teams
- Solid grasp of common design patterns and object oriented design
- Experience working with large transactional datasets and combining transactional data with web, social and mobile data
- Basic *NIX command-line and scripting skills
- Experience with test automation and continuous integration, preferred but not required
- Loves to devise solutions to problems in a collaborative environment
- Motivated, driven, and works well independently
- Always researching a better, more efficient way to solve something
- Looking for the opportunity to join a fast-growing engineering team
Modernize Home Services (a QuinStreet vertical) is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy status, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristics protected by law.