Principal DevOps Engineer at Care.com (Remote)
Care.com is a consumer tech company with heart. We’re on a mission to solve a human challenge we all face: finding great care for the ones we love. We’re moms and dads and pet parents. We have parents and grandparents, so we understand that everyone, at some point in their lives, could use a helping hand. Our culture and our products reflect that.
Here, entrepreneurs, self-starters, great teammates, and big problem solvers unite behind a common cause. Here, we’re applying data analytics, AI and the latest technologies to solve universal problems and connect people in new ways. If you enjoy solving big problems and building new things, and if you’re all about using your talent for good, this is the place for you.
Overview (What Your Days Will Be Like)
The DevOps team is responsible for the tooling and automation underlying the deployment, monitoring, and management of Care.com's services and applications. They provide 24x7 operational support to the engineering teams responsible for the applications themselves, and work with those teams to ensure that requirements around compliance and availability are met.
As domain specialists, engineering authorities are encouraged to take ownership of key parts of Care.com’s infrastructure and guide related standards discussions and initiatives. They work closely with architects on the Engineering team to design and then implement fundamental aspects of the platform. Within the DevOps team, Principal level engineers provide mentorship and guidance to more junior members of the team and help ensure that team priorities and goals are being met.
Specific Duties/Responsibilities (What You'll Be Working On)
- Collaborate closely with other senior members of the Devops and Engineering teams to define architectural and operational aspects of Care.com’s growing infrastructure.
- Lead Care.com’s EKS clusters and Istio service mesh including upgrades, availability/reliability aspects, and customer-facing features.
- Assist the Engineering team with OpenTelemetry based observability initiatives focused on self-service monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Improve and support Care.com’s CI/CD pipelines with a goal to maximize velocity and safety of deployments.
- Work with the security engineering team to ensure that security guardrails are implemented as early as possible in pipelines.
- Write and maintain documentation around operational and architectural aspects of the Care.com infrastructure
Skills/Experience Requirements (What You'll Need to Succeed)
- 3+ years’ experience working with Kubernetes and familiarity with service meshes (we use EKS and Istio)
- 6+ years working with infrastructure as code and/or configuration management tools, receiving and providing code reviews (we use Ansible, Terraform via Terrascript, and Cloudformation via CDK)
- Experience with CI/CD toolchains and automation (we use Jenkins, Harness, JFrog/Artifactory/X-Ray, and SonarQube) – experience developing and extending Jenkins shared libraries a plus.
- Strong understanding of the AWS cloud platform including AWS cloud-native design patterns
- Strong written communication skills and comfort with chat tools (e.g. Slack) as a primary means of communication
- Familiarity with SaaS observability platforms (we use Signalfx, Splunk)
- Solid Python and Bash programming skills
BS/BA in Computer Science or equivalent experience
For a list of our Perks + Benefits, click here!
**Care.com supports diverse families and communities and seeks employees who are just as diverse. As an equal opportunity employer, Care.com recognizes the power of a diverse and inclusive workforce and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. Care.com is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please contact [email protected].**
Available in more than 20 countries, Care.com is the world's leading platform for finding and managing high-quality family care. Care.com is designed to meet the evolving needs of today's families and caregivers, offering everything from household tax and payroll services and customized corporate benefits packages covering the care needs of working families, to innovating new ways for caregivers to be paid and obtain professional benefits. Since 2007, families have relied on Care.com's industry-leading products—from child and elder care to pet care and home care. Care.com is an IAC company (NASDAQ: IAC).