Principal Engineer, Security Development at Atlassian (Austin, TX or Remote)
Atlassian helps teams everywhere change the world through the power of software and we are looking for a well-rounded developer to join Atlassian's security development team. This team is responsible for building and operating mature software systems to improve the entire company's security posture. As an Engineer, you'll be part of a team responsible for crafting, implementing, monitoring, scaling, and optimizing the code that powers platform services.
If you are a strong software developer interested in developing your info security expertise, this role is a rare opportunity to do just that!
Who We Are
Atlassian is a company that lives and breathes our values, as we seek to unleash the potential of every team. We offer 40 hours per year of paid leave for doing non-profit work so that you can Be the Change You Seek in the world as well as at work, in addition to unlimited vacation time to help you Build with Heart and Balance. As part of the wider security organization, we will expect you to speak at conferences, make open source contributions, and lead cross-team initiatives all designed to drive security forward not only inside Atlassian but across the industry with uncomfortable openness.
What you do:
- Breakdown complex problems into simple, elegant solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess authoritative knowledge in performance, scalability, and enterprise system architecture.
- Influence the technical direction of multiple teams (both within and outside your immediate organization).
- Grow other developers. Act as a mentor and lead by example to help build an awesome team.
- You still code and your code sets an example for others to follow.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- A passion for delivering high-quality code on-time
- 10(ish) years of software development experience
- Experience leading large-scale projects
- Experience mentoring and developing more junior developers
- Experience building scalable, reliable, performant, and highly available systems
- Ability to communicate well with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Fluency in any modern programming language
- Don't worry if you aren't a security pro
It's great if you do, but you're not required to have:
- Experience building large scale, high load distributed systems on AWS or other cloud infrastructure with a focus on operational maturity
- Experience processing large data sets and stream processors
- Experience using data and metrics to evaluate new technologies and technical directions
- Familiarity with security systems would be a huge bonus (but not a requirement)
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .