What if you could use your technology skills to develop a product that impacts the way communities' hospitals, homes, sports stadiums, and schools across the world are built? Construction impacts the lives of nearly everyone in the world, and yet it's also one of the world's least digitized industries, not to mention one of the most dangerous. That's why we're looking for a talented Principal Software Engineer to join Procore's journey to revolutionize a historically underserved industry.
As a Principal Software Engineer on our Specialty Contractors market team, you'll contribute directly to growing our enterprise-level construction subcontractor-focused solutions. Your direct input will help us design and implement a system to link millions of tradespeople to internal and external applications, clients, and services. In collaboration with Product, QA, UX, and other teams, you'll identify critical areas, develop roadmaps, and drive immediate and long-term strategic direction for significant parts of the technology stack.
Backed by the might of our teams, you'll be provided with the tools and resources needed to achieve extraordinary results that render a significant impact extending beyond the boundaries of traditional engineering roles. If you're a robust technological leader with proven experience evaluating industry best-of-class technical approaches—we have a spot for you on our team.
This position will report to the Engineering Manager for our Specialty Contractors market team and has the opportunity to be based in our Carpinteria, CA, or Austin, TX offices. We're looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you'll do:
- Architect and design sophisticated application-level services that serve hundreds of millions of requests per day to web, mobile, and 3rd party applications for large-scale labor, equipment, and material management
- Continuously drive the evolution of one of the best API's in construction by collaboratively iterating the API Architecture and Specification with feedback from customers and developers
- Coordinate integrations with major 3rd party integrators and services
- Contribute to both core initiatives at Procore as well as independent, innovative technical projects
- Use a collaborative approach to lead architectural design decisions that improve scalability and performance
- Develop teammates by conducting code reviews, providing mentorship, pairing, and training opportunities
- Serve as a subject matter expert in a domain, including tools, processes, and procedures that help guide others to create and maintain a healthy codebase
- Drive critical projects including:
- Scalability: We're scaling Ruby on Rails and need engineers who are ready to take on the challenge of working on live, core systems with millions of users
- Collaboration: We're building world-class solutions for construction subcontractors that must work together to provide real-world value on and off the job site. These solutions will help capture real-time information about Labor/Equipment/Materials use, extend insights on the data, and forecast to improve projects down the road
- Microservices: We build, maintain, and develop a broad series of microservices and are looking for engineers adept at discovering new opportunities and driving them to completion
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years experience in Object-Oriented Program fundamentals, Test Driven Development and Design principles (Ruby on Rails, Python, C++, Java)
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, a related field, or comparable work experience
- Track record of anticipating technical problems that will fall out of major projects and designing solutions to overcome those problems
- Demonstrated expertise with building or significantly improving large, business-critical systems involving stability, performance, and scalability
- Experience with large-scale frontend and backend applications
- Experience working with and developing RESTful APIs
- Time-honed expertise with modern web development across the entire spectrum of development, testing, staging, deploying, and monitoring
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, housing complexes, and more. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore!
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: generous paid vacation, employee stock purchase plan, enrichment and development programs, and friends and family events.