Principal Engineer, Trello Front End Platform at Atlassian
Atlassian is looking for an experienced and talented Principal Front End Software Engineer to join the Trello team! Trello has always been an organization that supports remote work. As a member of the Front End Platform team you will own a broad range of code from the developer experience to the build pipeline and cross-cutting APIs. Our work includes keeping the local dev environment running, making sure that Bamboo and Bitbucket Pipelines builds are green and run efficiently, and supporting and updating APIs for Nachos (Trello component library), FX3 (feature flagging), and our client-side GraphQL infrastructure.
Some of the work we do:
- Drive frontend reliability improvements across Trello, through new platforms, capabilities, and best-in-class tools that give engineers rapid visibility into how their changes are affecting users
- Curate and enhance our documentation covering our entire web development space
- Enable step-change improvements in our frontend build times by experimenting with new approaches and technologies
- Improve the day-to-day frontend development experience of Trello engineers by supporting rapid iteration and real time feedback about accessibility, performance, browser compatibility, and more
Some of the work you'll do:
- Design, build, evolve, and maintain the foundational frontend ecosystem and underlying tools used by all of Trello's product engineering teams
- Educate frontend engineers on the state of the frontend platform and evangelize our new projects and the directions we're taking
- Own and drive changes that increase the productivity of Trello engineers working on frontend applications
- Work with your teammates to own and innovate to create a great frontend development experience at Trello
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Experience architecting and leading a variety of large scale single-page web applications
- Experience with modern testing frameworks (e.g., Jest, Cypress, Puppeteer)
- Experience educating engineers on best practices in frontend architecture, performance, event driven programming. You enjoy writing and sharing your expertise broadly
- Expert at front end operational excellence - you think reliability, performance, instrumentation and measurability first
- Deep understanding of front-end architecture and data-driven development
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience solving performance-related problems
- Bachelor or higher degree, or its equivalent work experience, in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems Management or a closely related field of study
It's great, but not required if you have:
- Experience with Apollo GraphQL, Redux, Backbone
- Familiarity with common backend service languages such as NodeJS, Java, Go
- Ability to work with product teams to collaborate on dynamic user experiences
- Previous experience working for a SaaS company
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .