Principal Software Engineer, Web Platform at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital is seeking new team members (Partners)!
Since our inception, we’ve been investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we’re hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. We’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption—like Curbside and Home Delivery—so you’ll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
What you’ll do at HEB:
- Coach and mentor junior and senior engineers in engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies; enable others to succeed.
- Contribute to overall system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance of applications.
- Support the build and deployment pipeline and when necessary, both diagnose and solve production support issues.
- Identify, scope, and architect solutions for new features while applying sound technical judgment that considers technology alternatives, impact on affected / adjacent systems and tradeoffs.
- Work with Product, Design, and QA to deliver world-class digital experiences.
- Get the opportunity to stay ahead of new technologies with an eye to evaluating and potentially incorporating them into your team’s architecture.
- Apply understanding to help improve the cloud infrastructure that powers our high-performance, consumer-scale site and mobile apps.
- Lead initiatives, technical design, and delivery of complex features across multiple systems to improve user experiences.
- Recommend changes to processes and tools at the team level based on industry standards, patterns, and practices.
- Work with other platforms (iOS, Android, backend engineering) to build out scalable systems that support the HEB infrastructure.
- Diagnose / fix highly complex technical issues independently.
- Identify and communicate cross-team dependencies.
- Communicate individual and project-level development statuses, issues, risks, and concerns to technical leadership and management; research / advise technical leadership in vendor negotiations.
- Create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards within assigned team
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Build world-class applications using a variety of tools including React, GraphQL (Apollo), AWS, and more.
- Refactor HEB’s existing infrastructure to bring the web and mobile web experience into the digital age
- Research new technologies with your teammates and make choices that will help direct web development for HEB into the future
- Serve as technical and functional expert for web applications
- Act as the web expert on a cross-functional squad working to build the best experience for HEB customers
- You understand systems architecture technologies, including Amazon Web Services and Docker
- You have 8+ years of development experience, preferably including engineering leadership/mentorship roles
Who You Are:
- You have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of successful, high-quality results.
- You enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge.
- You have an advanced understanding of development methodologies and processes
- You have a comprehensive knowledge of CS fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- You have advanced knowledge of system architecture and design patterns.
- You can understand architecture, design, and integration landscape of multiple H-E-B systems.
- You have experience with common software engineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
- You have a high level of comfort in Lean Startup or Agile development methodologies
- You have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or comparable field, or equivalent self-study.
- You mentor and help develop the engineering talents of more junior developers
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment