Principal Software Engineer at realtor.com
Who We Are
Realtor.com is your one-stop-shop for homebuyers, sellers, and dreamers, with comprehensive for-sale listings, insightful information, valuable tools, and professional expertise. We make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone. We’re excited and hungry to make a difference to the millions of people in the US who buy a home each year. Our aspiration starts with treating our home buyer as our focal point - we believe that delivering on experiences that truly help people through this seemingly difficult life event will lead us to continued and greater success as a company.
About The Role
We have an exciting and unique opportunity for a motivated and energetic Principal Software Engineer to join the Realtor.com Data Platform team. In this position, you will enable optimal data-driven decisions that empower our products and people. You will develop tools and platforms to collect and process data into our data lake easily, develop systems that ensure data is well defined and trustworthy, and build enabling platforms that make the data easily accessible throughout the company. You will incorporate DevOps practices, learn about and leverage new technologies, work with an experienced team of engineers, and be part of a team that has a lot of fun along the way!
To keep up with our business and data growth, the realtor.com Data Platform team is expanding. We need a Principal Software Engineer to join our team.
This impactful role will promote the build-out and usage of the data platform, data-driven decisions and data products for realtor.com, it's customers, partners, and consumers. Additionally, this role will be part of the core team contributing to design and development of realtor.com's new data platform.
What you’ll do
- Drive data platform operational requirements and practices across teams, influencing design decisions and architecture solutions to achieve cross-team alignment for major initiatives and objectives
- Guide operations team in anticipation of extensibility needs and help them make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes
- Lead by example, process improvement initiatives to improve operational practices and the quality and timeliness of our data quality with high predictability
- Have a strong focus on accuracy, completeness, reliability and relevance
- Coach, mentor, and guide teams to deliver the highest quality data to our customers keeping in mind return on investment and total cost of ownership
- Perform corrective and adaptive maintenance on software systems including coding bug fixes and enhancements and undertaking system analyses and technology migrations
- Serve as a consultative technical resource for customer care and business teams
- Work closely with software engineering, support and business related teams across our organization to constantly implement, improve and provide the highest quality data to our customers
- Proactively identify and execute improvements related to the direct underlying technology maintained by the data platform team.
- Create, evolve and optimize cross team standard operating procedures for the operation of the product
- Actively seek out new technologies, evaluate them and make recommendations to integrate them in our solutions and products
- Triage operational alarms, exceptions, and failures across all data platform applications and product platform service
- When problems are detected, drive to the root cause, communicate with the right parties and contribute to the resolution until the issue is resolved
- Work in a primarily Agile/Scrum product development process
- Computer Science/Engineering Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, Master’s a plus, PhD a ++
- 15+ years of experience in relevant fields
- Comfortable in working with big data tooling (Kinesis or Kafka, AirFlow, Hadoop, RESTful API).
- Expert at SQL and query performance tuning
- Solid understanding of Cloud technologies (preferably AWS services), and security and how they can be combined to design scalable cloud solutions
- Solid skills in multiple programming languages (TDD, Pairing, CI/CD). Preferably in Python or Java.
- Solid understanding of software engineering and operations
- Detail oriented. Strong prioritization skills and sense of urgency
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Takes pride in efficient designs and accurate results
- Objectively analyzes the pros, cons, and the tradeoffs of a design path and helps the team to arrive at the most optimal solution, which may not be their own
- Loves to learn and experiment with new technologies and shares findings with the team
- Effective team player. Honest and respectful of others
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of nearly 2,000 employees who work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, over 85 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices in the U.S. and Canada with lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.