It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.WHAT IS COOL ABOUT THIS JOB
At WP Engine, we are on a mission to help our customers win online. Whether that’s helping an aspiring entrepreneur to turn their hobby into an online business or helping a multinational corporation launch a new campaign in weeks instead of months, our platform is there to help them win — whatever that means for them.
As a consequence of our focus on the customer, we have been blessed with striking growth. This growth provides many opportunities at WP Engine to solve hard problems at scale and to deliver new products that continue to make WP Engine the platform of choice for online agility. You will be a crucial part of taking our platform to the next level both in scale and functionality.
We are searching for a proven Principal Software Engineer with a strong SRE mentality to join one of our Infrastructure Engineering teams. Our production infrastructure is a hybrid environment utilizing virtual machines, containerization, and serverless technologies. Today, it consists of tens of thousands of hosts running on multiple public cloud providers that host over 700,000 customer web sites, serving 4 billion requests every day, reaching 5% of the world’s population. As part of this team, you will help us design and build a new production environment that both fails and scales gracefully. The ideal candidate will have a software engineering background, deeply value fast feedback loops, and a history of applying software engineering skills to infrastructure problems in an agile, fast-paced environment.THE DAY TO DAY
- Work with Kubernetes solutions across various cloud providors such as Azure, AWS, GCP
- Build and maintain APIs to aid in the management of our production environment
- Provide hands-on leadership in architecting solutions, building and improving our platform and applications in a highly scalable environment
- Champion via example and mentorship the core principles of SRE
- Produce quality, testable and maintainable systems with fast feedback loops
- Build and enhance infrastructure for serving WordPress on thousands of servers
- Iteratively improve observability for globally distributed systems via metrics, monitoring and alerting
- Develop CI/CD pipelines for pushing code into production
- Propose and discuss the merits of infrastructure options
- Collaborate with team members, partners, vendors, and the development community both internally and externally
- Leverage your extensive experience to ensure we keep the talent bar high via your leadership and mentorship
- Bachelors in CS or related field
- Extensive software engineering experience
- Expertise working with Kubernetes and containerization
- Experience with various cloud infrastructure providors (eg. Azure, AWS, GCP) and building automation utilizing their APIs.
- Solid understanding of ephemeral infrastructure, horizontal scaling, self-healing architectures, service discovery, and all key aspects of observability
- Outstanding quality approach
- Extensive operational experience
- Ability to work with and switch between multiple languages; eg. Python, Go, Ruby and PHP.
- Proficient with infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Salt, Chef or Puppet
- Thrive in a growing startup environment
Not required but a plus if you have experience with the following technologies:
- Time series databases such as InfluxDB, Prometheus or OpenTSDB
- Service discovery and distributed configuration - etcd, consul, zookeeper
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- Fertility Benefits (IVF/Fertility drug coverage)
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Paid Family and Caregiver’s Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off)
- One-time $500 Home Office Stipend
- Company Wellness Days
- Wellness Program
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.