Principal Software Engineer at Atlassian (Remote)
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it's necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
You are a Principal Software Engineer on the Solutions Engineering Technologies team focused on building our SaaS demo product. Our product overlays demos on top of Atlassian's products you know and love (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, etc...) at scale. We are the cherry on top of the Atlassian sundae. You'll report to the Senior Engineering Manager of the team.
You are a hands-on keyboard backend Software Developer, building microservices to support our product. You'll focus on four areas:
1. New product features
2. Integration of demo data into our platform
3. Tech debt
4. Core functionality changes as microservices we rely upon evolve and deprecate
Our key technologies are:
- REST API
- Our Micros platform
- Some native AWS services (batch, lambda)
This is 70% of the job.
In addition to being a developer, you'll also be responsible for Operations...A DevOps Engineer if you will. For the most part, you won't need to worry about the infrastructure that's automagically handled by our Micros platform. However, we rely upon other microservices, so we often partner with other teams to understand what happens when something breaks.
- Monitor and resolve high priority incidents and outages
- Monitor SLAs/SLOs
- Navigate the organization to find the downstream microservice/team that's experiencing the issues
This is 30% of the job.
When you join the team, you'd be expected to have:
- Business acumen and communication skills. Understand product management terminology and enterprise use cases.
- REST API Development: Exposure to software ecosystems, API technology such as REST or GraphQL, and experience building tools or platforms for other developers is also desirable
- Programming: Expert-level proficiency in one or more prominent languages such as Java, Python, C#, or C/C++
- Exposure to building high-scale reliable systems in the cloud
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelor or higher degree, or a related field of study
And ideally, we'd hope you'd have:
- Sales or professional services experience. Those personas are our main customers.
- AWS knowledge in networking, lambda, and serverless
- Familiarity with the Atlassian products
- Operations experience to support growth into 24x7 SLAs
More about our team
We are a small team with a big impact. We believe demos drive sales. Our team is tasked to build and operate systems that allow us to scale our demo environments for our pre-sales engineers and consultants. As a Principal Software Engineer at Atlassian, you'll be part of the Solutions Engineering Technologies team. We'll help accelerate pre-sales and consulting teams by providing standard methodologies for building, operating, and optimizing our products and solutions.
Read about engineering at Atlassian:
Atlassian Engineering - Unleashing the potential of all teams with tips, tools, and practices
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world's best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub .