Product Support Engineer
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin for 2017 is looking for a Product Support Engineer for our Austin Four Points Office. In this exciting role, you will assist every area of the business with your expert level product knowledge and technical ability. You will be responsible for knowing everything that the platform has to offer, from the newest features to the simplest core functions. Some examples of the groups you will be working with are our product and engineering team, SBD partners, external developers and engineers, SMB/Mid-Market merchants, and other internal organizations. As a Product Support Engineer you will get to dive into the more challenging/complex issues that require skills well-beyond what our technical support tiers can handle. You will use your top notch tech skills and coding know-how to identify product defects, come up with creative solutions in order to solve problems, and prioritize open issues for our product and engineering team. You will work alongside the BigCommerce product and engineering teams to help fix or enhance the software itself, including developing broader code fixes for use within the application, while engaging with partners and customers.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Use trace analysis, debug skills, code, and proprietary tools, to analyze system problems, develop and test solutions for higher priority/more complex issues.
- Perform analysis techniques to manage critical situations that involve technically challenging issues
- Execute platform and code tests. Identify and communicate defects through creation, prioritization, and organization of those defects via internal tracking system (JIRA); build/lead corrective action plans for these defects as appropriate.
- Provide code fixes for minor defects to the core application and/or themes, ensuring code to be merged is always in a releasable state
- Contribute to the software development of tools, apps, or core software improvements, including feature requests coming directly from customers
- Work as an extension of the Engineering team to provide code fixes within the core software application and/or themes as assigned by Engineering Senior Managers
- Assist Design and Solution partners as well as high value clients with creating and troubleshooting custom API solutions as needed
- Maintain strong working knowledge of released products and participate in pre-release activities, BETA programs, and ongoing improvement of products
- Communicate and help solve complex issues for our merchants via escalated cases
- Work as an attachment to product and engineering durable teams; attend Sprint and Release Train meetings and disseminate information to other teams within the organization when necessary
- Work with the Product Team to create and maintain developer facing documentation
- Act as a product advocate for customers and provides client prospective/client feedback to the engineering/product team.
- A minimum of 6 months (1 year highly prefered) in-depth experience with the BigCommerce platform, with expert-level BigCommerce product knowledge
- Exceptional troubleshooting, testing and debugging skills in multiple environments
- Deep Knowledge of DNS, SSL, and the BigCommerce technical infrastructure
- Strong understanding of Bigcommerce API; capable of performing, testing, and debugging requests
- Deep understanding of Stencil Framework and Handlebars programming language
- Formal training or equivalent experience with at least one server side scripting language, preferably PHP or Ruby
- Ability to self manage to prioritize the most critical needs of the team
- Intermediate level experience with internal tools (logstash, rundeck)
- General understanding of code deployment and supporting tools like Github
- Knowledge of relational databases (i.e. MySQL) and data structures
- Trained in BigCommerce Engineering security and PSR best practices
- Outstanding soft skills and excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional time management and ability to work independently
- Ability to give and receive very honest feedback
Who you are:
- A BigCommerce expert. You know the platform inside and out.
- Teamwork isn't something you just talk about, you believe in it and help keep it going.
- Helping people is what you do. You look forward to helping in any way you can - whether it’s our customer, SBD partners, or our product team.
- Working on complex puzzles and finding out why things tick interest you.
- You are a multi-tasking expert and know how to prioritize your workload.