Quality Engineer at Hyliion
- Able to read and interpret complex component, assembly and system documents.
- Proficient in parts inspection techniques using common gages and standard measurement equipment to establish product conformance/non-conformance.
- Able to read manufacturer parts production certification documents to establish material traceability and performance acceptability
- Able to understand critical to quality characteristics to develop and implement part specific inspection test plans and/or detailed quality control plans.
- Able to conduct Supplier Source Inspection and establish supplier corrective action reports as result of audit finding, product non-conformance escape.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate cross functional teams through structured 8D Problem Solving activities
- Lean / Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Conducts First Article Inspections, including validation and verification of engineering characteristics and requirements.
- Experience defining Key Performance Indicator metrics to identify process improvement opportunities
- Proficient in the review, evaluation and creation of work instructions, standard operating procedures and quality process documentation.
- Experience with Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility and standard Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) calibration requirements.
- Experienced in the performance of quality assessments/audits on processes and procedures to ensure compliance to requirements and specifications in accordance with internationally recognized Quality Management Systems like ISO-9001, TS/IATF 16949 or AS9100.
- Proficient in leading Material Review Board activities focused on disposition of non-conforming products, required containment actions and appropriate root cause/corrective action steps required to prevent recurrence
- Supplier Qualification and Supplier Performance Management (KPIs, Capability, Rate Readiness)
Desired Skills (Future):
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
- ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditor Certification
Professional Communication, Continuous Improvement Focus, and Systematic Process Control
Bachelors degree preferred (STEM). Extensive Automotive or Aerospace Quality Engineering background will be considered in lieu of degree.
Essential Job Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop Hyliion processes to support future ISO compliance
- Develop appropriate quality tools to support engineering and operations teams process controls and procedures documentation to drive traceability as required
- Mentor and guide engineers in quality best practices methodologies
- Monitor and seek to improve Engineering Change Management Process to maximize resource effectiveness and process efficiency
- Manage 8D projects to ensure that methodologies are being strictly followed and that results are expedited
- Support product conformance of incoming parts
- Support engineering print review and release process
- Actively engage suppliers concerning quality escapes and support determined supplier quality audits
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Proven track record of establishing quality methodologies within companies
- Proficient in advance product quality planning (APQP), disciplined problem resolution quality tool sets (8D Methods), and Lean Six-Sigma continuous improvement methods
- Proficient in automotive industry (AIAG) and associated toolset expertise (FMEAs, DVP&Rs, PPAP)
- Experience supporting continuous quality improvement activities in a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Understanding of automotive powertrain systems including both traditional and hybrid
- Understanding of vibration (including modal) and vibration reduction strategies highly advantageous
- Experience in battery design and ESD quality controls as they relate to electronic components, inspection, storage and assembly processes.
- Ability to read, understand and generate electrical manufacturing documentation
- Self-starter with strong follow-through skills and quality process control focus
- Ability to effectively and positively communicate verbally and in writing with customers (internal and external), to address their needs promptly and to follow through on commitments
- Ability to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions
- Position will involve travel (10% of time) to visiting engineering providers and hardware suppliers
- Ability to work well in a high-paced environment, set and meet appropriate deadlines
- Willingness and ability to work more than 8 hours a day to ensure that deadlines are achieved weekly hours may regularly be between 50-60 during busy time periods
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10-15 Years Experience
Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Ability to lift and/ or move up to 50 pounds
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing: Remaining upright on the feet, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and making fine discriminations in sound.
- Repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication of parts at distances close to the eyes.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
For the most part, ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional equipment as found in a typical office