React Front End Software Engineer (Mid-level & Senior)
At Self (formerly Self Lender), our mission is to help millions of people establish and build credit - especially those who are considered underserved or credit invisible. This is a rare chance to join a successful, venture backed startup based in Austin.
Developing a successful fintech company requires deep collaboration across our teams, dedication, and truly disrupting the way the industry thinks about things. Our team is passionate about empowering people to take control of their credit and challenging the status quo of accessing and building credit. Understanding our consumers is core to our growth in the years to come.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve rebuilt and launched our website as well as our mobile app in the last year, which now serves thousands of customers. We’re looking to take our product to the next level and need an experienced engineer to help us mature our front end development process. Our website is written in React + GraphQL and our mobile app is written in React Native + GraphQL.
As a React front end engineer, you’ll be working to implement a cutting-edge user experience that can be seamless for Android, iOS, and Web users. You’ll integrate with our Rest APIs and other 3rd-party services. You’ll collaborate with designers, product managers and other stakeholders in brainstorming new ideas, developing features, gathering feedback and iterating, thereby continuously providing impactful improvement to our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- 3+ years of experience working with modern front end frameworks such as React, Angular, Ember, Vue.js.
- Experience developing mobile-first, responsive websites.
- Experience developing UI for iOS and Android platforms.
- Experience working with server-side technologies.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Solid understanding of the React ecosystem, component composition, lifecycle methods.
- Strong familiarity with CSS Flexbox, CSS Grid, CSS in JS or other React-based CSS solutions.
- Experience with front end tooling like NPM, Yarn, Babel, Webpack, ESLint, Prettier.
- Experience building and consuming APIs to interact with other services using REST or GraphQL.
- Experience using GraphQL and Apollo or Relay clients in a production application.
- Background in building cross-platform native applications using React Native is a plus.
- Familiarity with native build tools like XCode, Android Studio.
- Develop, extend, and maintain the Self website leveraging the React framework.
- Build and maintain our mobile app using React Native.
- Translate the UI/UX design wireframes to actual code and technical implementation that will produce pixel perfect visual elements.
- Work with designers, product managers, back end engineers to implement new product features and improve existing ones.
- Build efficient and reusable front end components and abstractions.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Maintain code and write tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Provide stakeholders with time and resource estimates related to product development.
- Make technical decisions and improvements around front end development.
- Ensure user-facing code is written with security in mind.
- Keep up-to-date with the best front end practices and tooling.