RF Test Engineer at CesiumAstro
Please Note: US citizenship or permanent residency is required for this position.
CesiumAstro is a rapidly growing space technology startup in Austin, Texas, developing out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. Our approach is unique, and our team is changing the world of space communications. Learn more about our company at https://www.cesiumastro.com.
We are looking to add an RF Test Engineer to our team. If you are great at what you do, enjoy working in a startup environment, and are passionate about developing test systems for leading-edge satellite, spacecraft, and aerospace communication systems, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you are responsible for the design and implementation of test systems for Cesium’s phased array communication products. Cesium designs and produces full-stacked phased arrays, from the power and digital back end through the active phased array antenna. As such, the ideal candidate possesses a strong combination of hardware and software knowledge with proficiencies in conducted RF testing, antenna measurements, RF test architectures, and lab automation. The successful candidate will work closely with multi-disciplinary teams to address company-wide hardware test needs.
In space, there are no RMAs. As such, Cesium’s Test Engineering team is highly technical and a critical component of product development. Test Engineers are tasked with creating and executing test plans that are thorough, rigorous, and efficient, with an eagle-eye for detail and a mind for customer success.
Core day-to-day responsibilities include collaborating with engineering teams to develop test requirements, mapping requirements to reusable test architectures and procedures, implementing test plans and procedures, and presenting results to key stakeholders. Additional responsibilities include managing labs and equipment management and guiding key equipment purchase decisions.
The successful candidate will present engineering design review materials to our customers and executive team, as well as participate in proposal-writing efforts. As such, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
We provide a generous benefits and stock option packages to all our employees.
Successful candidates will require, as a minimum:
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or higher degree in Electrical Engineering or Physics from an accredited university or institution.
- Minimum of 1 year of industry or university research experience in design, analysis, and implementation of RF test systems.
- Firm understanding of the scope and intent of verification tests on RF systems.
- An eye for detail, with proven experience delivering thorough results.
- Proficiency with RF measurements (Linearity, NSD, EVM, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with lab instruments such as digital oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, RF signal generators, and vector signal analyzers.
- Experience sourcing, using, and maintaining RF cabling, attenuators, terminations, adapters, and PCBA connectors.
- Keen understanding of thermal and mechanical environmental conditions on RF measurement fidelity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred experience includes:
- Test architecture design and development including scripting, test executives, hardware, and measurement abstraction layers.
- Programming or scripting experience (Python, MATLAB, C/C++, etc.), including building interfaces to RF switches and environmental test equipment controllers.
- Proficiency with statistics and metrology.
- Understanding of RF and mixed-signal hardware (e.g. amplifiers, filters, ADCs/DACs, antennas) and its effects on test design.
- Experience with in-situ calibration of RF equipment in various test setups, including test carts, thermal chambers, and thermal vacuum chambers.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.