About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion.Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
This is an exciting time to join the Digital Engineering Team at H-E-B! As our customer and partner experiences continue to grow in popularity and adoption in areas like Curbside and Delivery you will have the opportunity to define the digital experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of partners. We are hiring across the stack: front-end web, front-end mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. Our engineers are utilizing the best technologies available to deliver modern and engaging experiences with the reliability, performance, and scale to service that only the best technical products can support. Your daily activities will involve oversight, mentoring, delivering key pieces of functionality, and collaborating with technology leadership to plan the technical roadmap for H-E-B. We are constantly evolving both the software and the teams that deliver it.
H-E-B Digital is co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor, recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience; Jag Bath (CEO and President of Favor) leads H-E-B Digital, and Mike Georgoff (recent Chief Product Officer at Main Street Hub), leads digital product strategy and development.
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems. As an Android Developer, your daily activities will involve oversight, mentoring, delivering key pieces of functionality, and collaborating with technology leadership to plan the technical roadmap for H-E-B.
- We hire talented people and give them the autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values and have a thriving program to support it throughout the company
- We are a partner-driven company with a Bold Promise - Because People Matter
- We are a truly original Texas-based company that has created the Spirit of Giving to help our communities in Texas every day
Why is it awesome? You will…
- Have the opportunity to stay ahead of new technologies with an eye to evaluating and potentially incorporating them into your team's architecture
- Participate in the full SDLC; including development, estimation, planning and design
- You will be writing automated tests with JUnit or equivalent
- Work closely with Product, Design and QA to deliver world-class digital experiences
- Coach and mentor junior engineers in mobile engineering techniques, process, and new technologies
What is your background?
- You are experienced in a highly agile environment.
- Have the ability to balance refactoring and managing tech debt with a deadline
- Have prior experience working on an e-commerce app
- A passion for testing and experienced using TDD or other test-first approaches
- 5+ years of Android development experience and have written an app, at least partially in Kotlin
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or comparable field or equivalent self-study
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- High comfort level with “lean startup” or Agile development methodologies
- You have an ownership mentality and a track record of successful high-quality results
- You identify any ambiguous requirements and provide clarity when needed
- A proven understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Proficient with technologies (e.g., Dagger, Retrofit, OkHTTP, RxJava) and enjoy learning new ones as they emerge
- Understanding of systems architecture technologies including Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Web Services, and Docker
What are the perks?
· A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 60 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment