Senior Backend Software Engineer at Expedia Group
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that flourishes with solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.What You'll Do:
As a highly competent Java/Scala engineer, you will develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable micro-services that will process thousands of requests per second. Having access to real-time data and exposure to optimize with machine learning, you will understand customers’ needs before they do. Additionally, you will play a critical part in driving world-class Operational excellence within our applications. You will tackle a wide range of complex software and system issues that will require a deep understanding of the application architecture, software engineering, and underpinning infrastructure.
As part of our continuous learning culture, you will have the opportunity to participate in exciting global company hackathons and various career building courses with co-workers of all levels of expertise.
This role would be most suited to an individual with an extensive background in software engineering with deep knowledge of programming and scripting languages and working on cloud-continuous environments using Agile methods to DevOps principles.
Technologies we use:
AWS, Docker, Mesos, Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka, Hadoop, NoSQL, Java, Git, Splunk, NewRelic, Jenkins, NodeJsWho You Are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of professional software development experience in Java or Scala.
- Experience in Scala is a plus
- You have excellent communication skills with the ability to work well multi-functionally across multiple departments
- Assure the quality of automation for their business applications
- Develop scalable, tested and reliable applications for a really fast paced distributed SOA environment
- Be comfortable in the agile software lifecycle from concept to production and beyond
- Analyze performance issue trends to identify underlying root causes and identify opportunities to improve reliability, security and capability of infrastructure, application and site services
- Actively engage with stakeholders, providing clear communication of service improvements and incident resolutions
- Promote and share best practice and quality focused ways of working across the application lifecycle
- Model and demonstrate appropriate business behaviors, good practice, and the intelligent application of industry methods and techniques
- Ability to architect and administer scalable, cloud-native and on-premise applications
- Skilled knowledge and ability in modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by other engineers
- Your open-minded creative approach problem solves complex challenges
- You love to teach and learn from your co-workers
- You focus on shipping software that matters to your users and that matters to the company you’re building it for
- It’s obvious to everyone around you that you have fun with your work and with your coworkers.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Extended paid maternity/paternity leave
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.