Senior Backend Software Engineer at DISCO
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Business Technology team, you’ll design and build the engines that drive our business. You will create custom applications and back-end microservices that will allow internal business leaders to make data-driven decisions. You will deliver real customer value while pursuing ‘high marks’ on these quality attributes: availability, scalability, interoperability, modifiability, performance, security, and testability.What You'll Do
- Work with world-class engineers to solve challenging problems using cutting-edge technologies.
- Participate in an agile environment with small, self-managed teams and a mature development process.
- Design and build sophisticated, distributed, microservice architectures in the cloud. These are custom applications and back-end services that support the company's operations and business needs.
- Implement transactional or eventually consistent stores that provide well-encapsulated domain object semantics.
- Build highly scalable and performant data pipelines that leverage serverless and containerized compute that balance cost, latency, and duration.
- Evaluate whether existing software tools on the market can solve a business problem, or whether custom code is needed (buy vs. build).
- Collaborate with a team of passionate professionals to build software that transforms the way we run our business.
- A proven engineer with 7+ years of hands-on software engineering experience including having designed and built enterprise-level software applications.
- Passionate about building software and solving hard problems using Python, Java, C#, or C++.
- Have experience with multiple software stacks throughout your career and are willing to adapt to new ones.
- Have the ability to design and communicate external and internal architectural perspectives of well-encapsulated systems using tools such as architecture/design patterns and sequence diagrams.
- Have experience designing and operating software in a cloud provider such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Have API design and data model implementation experience, including how to scale out, make highly available, or map to storage systems.
- Have experience using Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) with an emphasis on a well-maintained testing pyramid.
- Have experience coordinating with product management to ensure dependencies can be satisfied across teams and functionality.
- Approach software from a systems perspective and have the aspirational goal of everything being ‘well-crafted.’
- Have experience operating in an Agile environment.
Even Better If You…
- Have experience with ‘Big Data’ technologies such as: Kafka, AWS EMR, Apache Spark, DataFlow or Pipeline Systems, Columnar Databases, ElasticSearch, NoSql stores.
- Have experience implementing custom integrations with third party back-office solutions such as Salesforce.
- Know how to identify, select, and extend 3rd party components (commercial or open source) that provide operational leverage but do not constrain our product and engineering creativity.
Cloud Provider: AWS - EC2, ECS, Lambda, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, MSK, S3, Aurora, DynamoDB, KMS, CloudFront, CloudFormation, CodePipeline, etc.
Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry
3rd Party Vendors: Salesforce, Netsuite, Pendo, Snowflake, Fivetran
Deployment: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Consul for: App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets
Transport Mechanisms: Avro, Protobuf, HTTP Rest/JSON
CI/CD: Jenkins, CodePipeline, GitHub, ArtifactoryAbout DISCO
DISCO is a recognized leader in legal technology. Founded in 2012, DISCO’s mission is to create great technology to modernize the practice of law. Our solutions apply artificial intelligence and cloud computing to help lawyers and legal teams improve legal outcomes for their clients. Corporate legal departments, law firms, and government agencies around the world use DISCO for ediscovery, case management, compliance, disputes, and investigations.
DISCO has raised more than $135 million in venture capital and is using this investment to apply our unique combination of world-class engineering and deep legal expertise to build products that will transform the practice of law. We have an office in London and continue to expand our presence outside the United States.
Are you ready to revolutionize the practice of law? Join us!Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Free catered lunches every day, as well as free snacks and beverages*
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
*when we return to the office, post-COVID19
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.