Hyliion is looking for a Senior Design Engineer to join our engineering team in Austin. This full-time position offers the opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing company that is revolutionizing the trucking industry. We are seeking exceptionally talented individuals that are highly motivated to revolutionize an industry, reduce the use of fuel and have some fun. You will be joining an experienced engineering team in the design, simulation, implementation and testing of electrical powertrain systems. In this role, you will be developing the subsystem of the vehicle, taking designs from the conceptual stage through final implementation and production. Reports to Director Powertrain
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and release of automotive hybrid solutions including mechanical and electromechanical systems for Class 8 truck applications.
- Design for manufacturing, assembly, serviceability, and cost.
- Development of 3D CAD models for hardware and electrical components including wiring harnesses.
- Lead packaging studies to determine most efficient and cost-effective design solutions in vehicle applications.
- Development of detailed prints in accordance with ASME Y14. 5-2009.
- Lead and execute tolerance stack-up studies.
- Responsible for the checking and releasing of prototype and production prints
- Support the development of key quality and validation documentation including FMEAs, DVP&Rs to establish key failure modes and develop associated product validation plans
- Develop test specifications.
- Responsible for functional safety design features to ensure that released products is fit for customer use.
- Guide the development of cost models and create/execute cost reduction roadmaps
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Expert CAD user including GD&T (Autodesk Inventor and Creo).
- Thorough understanding of automotive powertrain and drivetrain components and systems.
- Experience in the design of electrified powertrain systems including batteries
- Class 8 truck experience desired.
- Experienced in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of structural systems is a plus.
- Experience in automotive industry and associated APQP toolset expertise (FMEAs, DVP&Rs).
- Manufacturing experience including design for manufacturability.
- Understanding of vibration (including modal) and vibration reduction strategies.
- Experienced in battery design.
- Experienced in electrical and wiring systems.
- Experienced in thermal system modelling, system specification development and component selection.
- Experience in A/C systems highly advantageous.
- Ability to read, understand and generate manufacturing documentation.
- Strong follow-through and self-starting nature.
- Ability to effectively and positively communicate with customers (internal and external), to address their needs promptly and to follow through on commitments
- Experience in leading and directing a team of engineers or equivalent management experience.
- Ability to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions.
- Strong software tools proficiency in Solid Modeling and Project Data/Lifecycle Management.
- Position will involve travel (10% of time) to visiting engineering providers and hardware suppliers.
- Ability to work well in a high-paced environment, set and meet appropriate deadlines
- Willingness and ability to work more than 8 hours a day to ensure that deadlines are achieved .
- Willingness to travel to manufacturing location(s) to support launch programs.
- 5-10 years experience in design engineering roles
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Ability to stand, sit, use of hands to handle, feel, or reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to lift and/ or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Hyliion is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.