Senior DevOps Engineer
Civitas Learning is bringing together technology, design thinking, and data science in our mission to help one million more students graduate by 2025. We are searching for a world-class Senior DevOps Engineer to join our mission-driven company and be a key player on our DevOps team. This individual will measure, automate, and scale our infrastructure serving millions of users at higher education institutions accessing multi-tenant/multi-region applications.
Our philosophy is simple: hire amazing engineers, give them the best tools and work environment, surround them with a great team, and help them deliver amazing software. Civitas prides itself on being one of the top Amazon Web Services customers in the Austin area and the top Ed-Tech customer in the world! DevOps at Civitas includes managing over 1,300 AWS resources across federated ETL-centric environments. As a top AWS customer, the DevOps team is given top priority in working with Amazon Web Services' Product Teams to drive requirements and feedback across various AWS products such as: CloudFormation, Managed ElasticSearch, Elastic Map Reduce, and Redshift. The role will be working closely with the Engineering team in developing a data streaming platform using technologies such as: Kubernetes Confluent Kafka, Apache NiFi, and Apache Atlas.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will work with organizations within the company to help define, scope, implement, test, deploy, and measure products and internal tools. You will work with the DevOps team to harden and deliver secure by default solutions, as well as optimize and elaborate on existing infrastructure components. From cross-region orchestration strategies to cost optimization, we strongly believe in continuous improvement through measurement.
The optimal candidate for this position will have compelling experience and a proven background scaling within Kubernetes, Amazon AWS ecosystem. We are seeking a leader who is a self-starter, organized, motivated, excellent at multitasking, and familiar with Agile methodologies. Additionally, if you’re familiar with security and compliance initiatives like SOC, SSAE 16/SAS70 Type II, PCI DSS, HIPAA, FERPA, and/or Sarbanes–Oxley - we’d love to chat with you!
What you’ll be working with
- OS: Debian & variants, CoreOS
- Languages: Python, Ruby, Bash
- Orchestration: Kubernetes/Helm, Terraform
- Configuration Management: Ansible, Consul
- Measurement: Prometheus/Grafana, ELK
- Development ecosystems: NodeJS, Python, Scala, Java
- Articulate the pros/cons of custom tooling vs commercial off-the-shelf solutions.
- Contextually advocate automation v.s. orchestration.
- Standardize environment and configuration.
- Drive lean and cohesive documentation.
- Maintain a consistent ecosystem of software design principles: separation of concern, reversibility, etc.
- Work with architects and principal engineers to define and elaborate infrastructure system design.
- Ensure best practices to maintain our most important priority: security.
- Define deployment configuration and instantiation.
- Ensure product uptime SLAs and resolve issues or outages to ensure business continuity.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in professional software development.
- Knowledgeable in public key infrastructure design: SSH, GPG, SSL.
- Knowledgeable in intrusion-detection strategies.
- Knowledgeable in cost-control systems: Ice, Cloudhealth.
- Knowledgeable in orchestration: Kubernetes, CoreOS, mesosphere.
- Knowledgeable in network design/segmentation: DNS, subnetting, VPN.
- Familiar with HA environments: load-balanced services, fault-tolerant (master/slave) RDBMS systems.
- Familiar with separation of infrastructure concerns: principle of least knowledge/privilege, secure by default.
- Experience serving as a mentor and/or coach to other DevOps engineers.
About Civitas Learning: Civitas Learning is a student success company delivering the clearest path to improved higher education outcomes. The company’s Student Success Intelligence Platform leverages each institution’s unique data to find and distribute the strongest signals across the student lifecycle. These signals empower students to make the best possible decisions along their academic pathway. Advisors, faculty, and administrators can personalize support, scale meaningful action, and measure impact to dramatically improve student outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning is a strategic partner to more than 325 colleges and universities, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of partners, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.
Civitas Learning offers medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a 401k plan. We also have a generous flexible, paid time off policy. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.