Acrisure Technology Group (ATG) is a fast paced, AI-driven team building innovative software to disrupt the $6T+ insurance industry. Our mission is to help the world share its risk more intelligently to power a more vibrant economy. To do this, we are transforming insurance distribution and underwriting into a science.
At the core of our operating model is our technology: we’re building the premier AI Factory in the world for risk and applying it at the center of Acrisure, a privately held company recognized as one of the world's top 10 insurance brokerages and the fastest growing insurance brokerage globally. By using the latest technology and advances in AI to push the boundaries of understanding risk, we are systematically converting data into predictions, insights, and choices, and we believe we can remove the constraints associated with scale, scope, and learning that have existed in the insurance industry for centuries.
We are a small team of extremely high caliber engineers with a diverse background across industries and technologies. Our engineers have worked at large companies like Google and Amazon, high frequency trading companies like 2Sigma and Jump Trading, and a variety of smaller startups, including successful startup founders.The Role
As a Senior Director of Engineering at a fast-growing technology startup, you will support, enable and empower your team, managing high-performing engineers and engineering managers to make a meaningful impact on our mission. You will provide strategic leadership to help guide longer term technical vision and company direction and oversee multiple cross-functional teams providing guidance and context to help them identify and deliver innovative features, systems, and platforms. You will empower your teams to own their mission and support them achieving their goals by helping identify and remove roadblocks, driving alignment and clarity across groups and providing accountability, rooting conversations in data and measurable outcomes. You are driven by a passion for improving the world through technology and delighting users. As a Senior Director of Engineering at a very young company, you will have a tremendous opportunity to help us to turn our vision into reality.
This role will oversee the Data, Data Operations and AI Infrastructure that underpins the work and success of the entire company, enabling business decisions in real-time with AI and securely exchanging information across a diverse ecosystem to bring state-of-the-art technologies to insurance distribution. This role also needs to effectively navigate a single vision that spans both ATG’s newer stack with the legacy analytics and data systems of our parent company and create strong data-related controls that satisfy compliance requirements across the entire data ecosystem. With your teams, you will create the vision and roadmap for our data and AI platforms, provide a robust data catalog and data governance procedures, as well as the path to get from where we are today to where we need to be. You will base investment decisions in business impact, leverage measurement to drive success and be effective at managing stakeholder expectations and input from across the organization.
As our engineering organization grows, you will help ensure we keep the talent bar high, and grow the skills and capabilities of your team. You foster an atmosphere of mutual respect, collaboration, welcome diversity of individuals, experiences and opinions. You also bring experience of building a strong organizational culture of continuous improvement, collaboration and using data to drive decisions. You’re passionate about scaling an organization while preserving a strong culture and bring ideas and experience of doing that well.
- With your insight and empowering the technical leaders in your organization, provide technical vision and strategy for your team; design and lead a multi-year technical roadmap, balancing short- and long-term technology investments.
- Lead multiple teams of high caliber engineers directly and through other managers to build efficient and reliable data and AI platforms.
- Be accountable for business-driven technical outcomes.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement.
- Experience creating and implementing security and/or compliance-related controls, like Sarbanes–Oxley, CIS20 or SOC 2.
- Balance competing priorities to ensure we effectively ship new capabilities while resolving defects and managing technical debt, across both new and legacy code bases.
- Inspire, lead and grow a world-class engineering organization. Be a role model and coach for engineers and leaders. Help them realize their potential by setting clear expectations, openly evaluating performance, upholding accountability, and providing challenges (within and outside their team) to stretch their skills.
- 10+ years leading engineering teams to deliver business impact in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a technical leader and influencing multiple teams of engineers concurrently while partnering on broad development initiatives.
- Proven track record of ideation and innovating exceptional technology at scale, while motivating others to act by creating a shared sense of vision or purpose.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic mindset, thriving at the intersection of technology and business.
- Possess empathy, kindness towards others, a positive attitude, and self-awareness.
- Excellent communication skills, both business and technical.
- Familiarity with machine learning technologies and high volume data platforms in a software environment is a plus.
- Are willing and able to work from the headquarters in Austin, Texas (preferred), with remote roles considered for the right candidate.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. If you are a solid Engineering Manager and eager to work on data or insurance related platforms/products, we are eager to talk to you.