Senior Engineering Manager
Vrbo, an Expedia group brand, is one of the world’s leading online marketplace for vacation rentals with over 2 million vacation home listings throughout 190 countries.
With a mobile team co-located in our Austin office, USA, we are looking for an experienced hands-on Senior Engineering Manager to lead Android App development for our Traveler channel. You will be the driving force brining innovative uses of mobile technology to our customers while ensuring a seamless experience across our websites and native apps. You will lead by example while providing direct coaching and mentoring to your team. You will work closely with multiple partners and domain experts across product, design, and development to define practices and standards for a best-in-class product and experience.
Our Traveler app has been downloaded by more than one million users globally, and our focus is to deliver an engaging user experience. You may download and explore our app at the link provided below:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrbo.android&hl=en_USWhat You'll Do:
- Lead, coach and mentor a team of Engineers skilled in Android and other technologies.
- Drive new features, improve performance and maintain high standards for app quality.
- Define and review architectural standards and processes that guide development of the Native Mobile apps.
- Drive performance analysis and optimization efforts.
- Represent the team in engineering and product meetings collaborating with Product Engineering teams, Product Managers, Analytics, Data Science, and Design.
- Work with teams across Vrbo and Expedia to ensure a seamless user experience for customers across all of their devices in a platform based way.
- Champion continuous improvement and deployment to help raise the bar on quality, performance and maintainability of mobile applications.
- Define and fulfil the engineering hiring plan for the team including sourcing, screening and interviewing.
- Explore and stay on top of the changes in the industry and champion new technologies and development processes within the team like Instant Apps.
- Collaborate effectively with engineering leaders across the company and contribute to building the platform for the vacation rental industry.
- Required Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience leading a team of highly skilled engineers.
- Experience collaborating with multi-functional partners to drive complex projects forward.
- Experience working with agile teams and making rapid decisions in a dynamic and disruptive environment.
- 10+ years of related software development experience
- 2+ years of experience developing and deploying successful native Android applications.
- Reference-able (app store) history of building native commercial apps.
- Passion to craft great products and an intuitive sense of what creates great customer experiences.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience working across multiple tech stacks, and the ability to adapt to changes/disruptions in technology platforms.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.