Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
At Self (formerly Self Lender), our mission is to help millions of people establish and build credit - especially those who are considered underserved or credit invisible. This is a rare chance to join a successful, venture backed startup based in Austin.
Developing a successful fintech company requires deep collaboration across our teams, dedication, and truly disrupting the way the industry thinks about things. Our team is passionate about empowering people to take control of their credit and challenging the status quo of accessing and building credit. Understanding our consumers is core to our growth in the years to come.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve rebuilt and launched our website as well as our mobile app in the last year, which now serves thousands of customers. We’re looking to take our product to the next level and need an experienced engineer to help us mature our development process. Our website is written in React + GraphQL and our mobile app is written in React Native + GraphQL.
As a full stack engineer, you’ll be working to implement a cutting-edge user experience that can be seamless for Android, iOS, and Web users. You’ll integrate with our Rest APIs and other 3rd-party services. You’ll collaborate with designers, product managers and other stakeholders in brainstorming new ideas, developing features, gathering feedback and iterating, thereby continuously providing impactful improvement to our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with development/maintenance of Python/Flask code in a production environment.
- Experience building and consuming APIs to interact with other services using REST.
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience within the container orchestration space (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Deep understanding of AWS and cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Develop, extend, and maintain the Self website leveraging the React framework and backend Python services.
- Work with designers, product managers, back end engineers to implement new product features and improve existing ones.
- Build efficient, scalable and reusable systems and abstractions.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Reach out to the open source community to encourage and help implement mission-critical software fixes.
- Maintain code and write tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Provide stakeholders with time and resource estimates related to product development.
- Make technical decisions and improvements around front end development.
- Ensure software is written with security in mind.
- Keep up-to-date with the best coding practices and tooling.