Senior Manager, Engineering (Austin Metro, or San Francisco Metro) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce, named a 2022 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager and leader for our Security Pod in the exciting & rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the top-tier SaaS ecommerce platform. Our distributed team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco, and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
The Security Pod consists of two security-focused development teams. One is responsible for the authentication and authorization layer that protects the BC platform including its APIs. The other focuses on providing tools for improving risk management for BigCommerce and its merchants. This includes providing secure and audited access to potentially critical merchant information as well as surfacing the information our merchants need to manage risk for their online commerce presence.
Our tech stack varies between Scala, Ruby, and PHP on the backend along with React + TypeScript and legacy Angular on the front-end. We use a combination of public-facing REST APIs as well as internally-facing gRPC endpoints to communicate between services and front-ends. These two teams will primarily focus on Scala and Ruby for the backend.
This role is for a person who thrives at building impactful software engineering teams and is passionate about empowering engineers to achieve the best work of their careers. Well respected by technical and non-technical individuals, this person is an influential leader, coach, manager, and engineer. This leader will need to balance: driving our daring product roadmap, improving the performance and stability of our system, introducing engineering standard methodologies into the organization, and leading/mentoring other engineers.
Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options "Available in Austin, Texas Metro, and San Francisco, CA Metro Area"
Who you are:
- 5-7+ years experience in building systems using at least two different languages: Ruby, Scala, Java, PHP, Python, Node, etc. We currently primarily use Ruby, PHP, and Scala
- Think iteratively by breaking down problems into smaller, result / deployable pieces
- Experience with cloud computing such as Google Cloud Platform is highly desirable
- 3+ years in driving & retaining a high-performance team
- Experience with OAuth and/or SAML workflows
- Experience building or managing distributed and/or SOA architectures
- Experience with SaaS platforms is highly desirable
- Experience with application optimization, profiling, & architecture
What you’ll do:
- Oversee 2 teams with 4-8 team members
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- An effective people manager and potential hands-on coder
- Coordinate with the BC Application Security team on standard methodologies and prioritization
- Participate in code reviews and coach the team to implement best practices
- Build, lead, and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers
- Help design/architect/implement the building of services for the BigCommerce platform
- Build highly available, distributed systems
- Drive the technical roadmap and direction of our stack
- Encourage innovation & champion an environment of continuous improvement
- Partner with your Product and Project Managers to cultivate a team focused on mindful delivery
- Collaborate with partners and other teams to promote communication & coordination
- Organize and facilitate regular 1:1’s with your team for coaching & mentoring
Nice to have:
- Experience with functional paradigms
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Excited to learn new technologies.
- Proven UNIX knowledge.
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can tackle production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- All interviews are conducted via Google Meet or Zoom Webcast
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.