Since launching in 2010, WP Engine has become the world's leading WordPress Digital Experience Platform (DXP), now with over 120,000 customers in 140 countries. We're proud of the technology and service we offer our customers that move their businesses forward faster. At WP Engine, we strive to do the best work of our careers, and we feel empowered to do what is right for our customers. We love investing in employee success and uncovering opportunities for you, the best, to get better. Ninety-nine percent of employees believe you're made to feel welcome at WP Engine. "Be you. Be here"!What's cool about this job
As a consequence of our focus on the customer, we have experienced spectacular growth. This provides many opportunities for engineering managers to help solve exciting problems at scale, and to deliver new products that continue to make WP Engine the platform of choice for online agility.
Our teams focus on regularly delivering high-quality, incremental software solutions that solve real customer problems. As a leader, you will assist in speeding up delivery by removing obstacles and helping teams focus. Working at the intersection of people and technology, you will play a huge role in mentorship and career development while also helping the team make strong technical decisions. Because we see our culture as a competitive advantage, you will help hire the best and ensure that we provide an environment where the best get better!The day to day
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of talented engineers who are focused on building and automating tools on our platform and on applications to make it more reliable, scalable, secure, and usable. You will...
- Adopt a servant-leadership approach to providing support and assistance to engineering teams, including empowering them and helping remove impediments that reduce their ability to be effective.
- Encourage and drive the implementation of engineering best practices. Advise and assist teams on technical difficulties that arise in the course of doing their work. Identify issues that teams might overlook, such as scalability, performance, security, etc. Develop their ability to independently identify and avoid issues.
- Maintain familiarity with and help identify the tools and technologies that teams are using while spending hands-on time gaining familiarity with them.
- Lead the recruitment and hiring of outstanding engineers who reinforce our core values.
- Maintain high talent expectations and guide the career development of team members, including both technical and non-technical competencies vital for being successful and having a positive impact in a professional software engineering organization.
- Stay up to date on activities across our company, our competitors, and our largest customers, and ensure teams are informed about relevant developments.
- Partner with Product Management and others across the organization on the product vision and strategy, and give feedback on the content and prioritization of the product backlog.
- Be accountable for the team's health, engagement, performance, and value-delivery outcomes.
- 4+ years managing software engineering teams developing applications for massive scale and high performance.
- 7+ years of experience working in a distributed computing environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or a related field) or equivalent experience.
- A passion for working alongside Product Management to address customer needs and solve tough business problems with quality software at scale.
- Proven experience with Agile practices to encourage teams to learn, self-organize, and reflect on their wins and losses to continuously improve.
- Demonstrated ability to coach engineers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- History of continuous learning and the ability to stay ahead of technology trends.
- Experience leading teams in crafting and writing high quality, high performance, and highly available software applications at scale.
- Practical experience with continuous integration/continuous delivery with an emphasis on frequently and reliably deploying code to production, and learning from and iterating on the results.
- Experience with Agile work processes and managing sprint cycles to ensure product ships on time and with quality.
- Proven ability to cultivate a collaborative, high-performing team environment, inspiring teams to achieve important goals together.
- Proven track record of using data to understand the trade-offs and risks between deploying features and system stability (Google SRE mindset).
- Validated understanding of service orientation and event-driven system architectures to be able to reinforce patterns and standard methodologies.
- Production experience with containerization technologies, microservices, distributed tracing, and service meshes, including migrating from a monolithic architecture to microservices.
- Production experience solving problems with large scale distributed systems at scale in the cloud, hosted across international data centers
- Demonstrated ability working with various functional groups in hyper-growth organizations in a multinational distributed setting
- Proficient programming in Go and Python
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- IVF Benefits
- Paid Family Leave - 16 weeks for primary caregivers and 5 weeks for secondary caregivers fully paid
- 4% 401(k) Match (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn't like time off?)
- Transportation (Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Tuesday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing ([email protected]).