The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $106B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Drivers Team builds the libraries and tools that developers use day-to-day working with MongoDB. Our mission is to increase developer adoption and satisfaction by providing a reliable, enjoyable interface for developers and other end-users.
Our department is responsible for maintaining official drivers in 12 different programming languages. Our engineers are typically specialists in a particular programming language, but are capable of contributing to projects in other languages as well.
For this role, we're looking for someone who will enjoy designing, writing, and supporting open source libraries for Node.js developers that use MongoDB. This is an opportunity to make a major impact both at MongoDB and in the Node.js community at large: Node.js is one of the most popular languages for MongoDB users, and our driver is widely used, with over 2 million downloads a week via npm.You might be right for this role if you...
- Have substantial experience writing high-quality software
- Have deep knowledge of the Node.js ecosystem, and an interest in staying up-to-date on ecosystem trends and best practices and incorporating them into your work
- Have interest in working with technologies such as Typescript and C++ addons
- Are fascinated by concurrency, parallelism, and distributed systems
- Can make pragmatic design decisions, balancing tradeoffs such as usability, maintainability and delivery time
- Want to, or already do, participate in open source software development and communities, both online via e.g. GitHub and optionally through conferences and speaking engagements
- Communicate well, internally and externally, both verbally and in writing
- Enjoy collaborating with teammates, and mentoring junior engineers and interns
- Are self-motivated, organized, and have strong time management skills
- Developing and supporting the MongoDB Node.js driver and related software, collaborating with peers in our distributed world-wide engineering team
- Writing and maintaining open source specifications defining common behavior and APIs shared across all of our drivers
- Investigating bugs and support requests from commercial customers, open source users, and internal users for the libraries our team maintains
- Working with our Product and Server teams on designs and specifications for new user-facing MongoDB features
- Within one month, you will understand the high-level architecture of the driver and how MongoDB works, and will have completed a few small bug fixes and/or feature tickets
- Within three months, you will be contributing effectively day-to-day, fixing bugs, implementing features, investigating and responding to open source user and customer issues, and reviewing your peers' code
- Within six months, you'll have implemented major, planned new features, contributed to our common driver specifications, and will be collaborating with the Product team to help craft our roadmap
- Within twelve months, you'll have significantly improved the quality, performance and maintainability of our codebase, and will be taking the lead in designing and specifying major new features
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.