Senior Performance Engineer at MongoDB
MongoDB is seeking a senior engineer to join the product performance team. This team is responsible for understanding the performance of MongoDB, sharing that knowledge internally and externally, and using that knowledge to drive performance improvements into MongoDB. We are the advocates for customer performance in specific and a performance culture in general by writing performance tests, defining and running experiments, documenting results and conclusions, and sharing the learnings from those experiments. An integral part of our work is talking to engineers to push for performance improvements, helping engineers add good performance tests, sharing and contextualizing results, as well as asking and learning from engineers. If you’re excited to investigate performance of a complex distributed system, this is the role for you.What we’re looking for
- Persistent learners, who are driven to reach understanding: will reach out and try new approaches when they encounter roadblocks
- Past work may include: developing self-taught skills, becoming the go-to resource for a particular domain, or performing a particularly challenging root cause analysis on a support case
- Capable communicators, who can make complex concepts easy to understand in written and spoken language
- Past work may include: writing technical documentation, producing trainings, or publishing academic papers
- Scientific testers, who understands how to decompose and solve complex problems and can rapidly iterate by testing new hypotheses and challenging current assumptions
- Past work may include: designing and testing complex systems, performing comparative benchmarking, or identifying the cause of an unexplained result
- Competent coders, who can readily begin writing performance tests in C++ using our testing framework and have some familiarity with the thorny technical issues central to databases: distributed systems, consensus algorithms, data replication, query optimization, data storage, OS internals, concurrency and scheduling, networking, etc.
- Past work may include: contributing to codebases, writing complex scripts that interact with AWS, or tuning a database or operating system configuration for performance
If you have other experiences that speak to these skills, please do not hesitate to apply. We are eager to build a team that draws from a range of complementary past experiences.What we expect
- Increase our performance testing coverage by writing new macro-benchmarks, creating new stress tests, and consulting with developers to help them add targeted tests for new features
- Investigate performance issues, and help undercover the root cause of an issue using internal tools as well as industry standards such as gdb and perf
- Consult with engineers developing new features and to help them produce the most valuable performance tests to benchmark new features
In 3 Months:
- You have written performance tests in C++ using our testing infrastructure
- You have analyzed performance issues using internal tools as well as tools like perf and gdb.
In 6 Months:
- You can take workload from the field that has a performance issues and produce and operationalize a performance regression test
- You have a strong understanding of our testing framework and participate in roadmap discussions around new features to be added to the testing framework.
- You can take an open-ended question from other teams and produce actionable guidance
In 12 Months:
- You have a strong understanding of our current performance testing coverage, and are opinionated about where we ought to invest in additional coverage and where we can reduce our spend.
- Your advice and consultation around performance behavior and testing of new features is eagerly sought and highly appreciated by development teams
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.