Senior RF Test Engineer at CesiumAstro
Please Note: US citizenship or permanent residency is required for this position.
CesiumAstro is a rapidly growing space technology startup in Austin, Texas, developing out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. Our approach is unique, and our team is changing the world of space communications. Learn more about our company at https://www.cesiumastro.com.
We are looking to add a Senior RF Test Engineer to our team. If you are great at what you do, enjoy working in a startup environment, and are passionate about developing test systems for leading-edge satellite, spacecraft, and aerospace communication systems, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you are responsible for the design and implementation of test architectures for Cesium’s phased array communication products. Cesium designs and produces full-stacked phased arrays, from the power and digital back end through the active phased array antenna. As such, the ideal candidate possesses a strong combination of hardware and software knowledge with proficiencies in conducted RF testing, antenna measurements, RF test architectures, and lab automation. The successful candidate will work closely with multi-disciplinary teams to address company-wide hardware test needs.
In space, there are no RMAs. As such, Cesium’s Test Engineering team is highly technical and a critical component of product development. Senior Test Engineers work with product designs from initial concept to space deployment – from design-for-testability to giving the final sign-off that the product will meet the customer’s needs in orbit around the Earth.
Core day-to-day responsibilities include designing reusable test solutions that can be used across a variety of RF systems; defining and maintaining standards of rigor in our test department; collaborating with engineering teams to develop test requirements; mapping requirements to reusable test architectures and procedures; implementing test plans and procedures; establish testing requirements for mass production; and presenting takeaways to key stakeholders. Additional responsibilities include lab and equipment management and guiding key equipment purchase decisions.
The successful candidate will present engineering design review materials to our customers and executive team, as well as participate in proposal-writing efforts and authoring datasheets. As such, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
We provide a generous benefits and stock option packages to all our employees.
Successful candidates will require, as a minimum:
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or higher degree in Electrical Engineering or Physics from an accredited university or institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry or university research experience in design, analysis, and implementation of RF test systems.
- Experience developing test plans for characterizing the performance of RF systems.
- Design-for-testability experience, with a proven record of working with responsible engineers, manufacturing engineers, and production test labs to ensure a testable product is developed.
- Experience authoring verification test plans, test procedures, and test reports from product requirements.
- High proficiency with RF measurements (Linearity, NSD, EVM, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with lab instruments such as digital oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, RF signal generators, and vector signal analyzers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred experience includes:
- Test architecture design and development including scripting, test executives, hardware, and measurement abstraction layers.
- Design for testability to drive changes in PCB design, component selection, and test fixturing.
- Experience defining and implementing project plans, managing milestones, defining actionable targets, and maintaining a workflow that emphasizes accountability.
- Programming or scripting experience (Python, MATLAB, C/C++, etc.).
- Proficiency with statistics and metrology.
- Understanding of RF and mixed-signal hardware (e.g. amplifiers, filters, ADCs/DACs, antennas) and its effects on test design.
- Experience with professional simulation tools such as CST and ADS, as well as EDA tools such as Altium.
- EMI/EMC test experience in aerospace systems.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.