Senior Ruby Drivers Engineer (EMEA) at MongoDB
The database market is extensive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
A great MongoDB experience starts with great tools. The Drivers team builds the libraries and tools that developers use day-to-day working with MongoDB. Our mission is to increase developer adoption, satisfaction and retention by providing a reliable, enjoyable interface for developers and other end-users.
Our senior engineers are typically specialists in a particular programming language, but are capable of contributing to projects in other languages as well.
For this role, we're looking for someone who enjoys designing, writing, and supporting Open Source libraries for developers using MongoDB and who is passionate about increasing the use of MongoDB within the Ruby and Ruby on Rails communities.You might be right for this role if you
- Have substantial, demonstrable experience writing high-quality software in Ruby
- Have strong experience developing Ruby on Rails applications
- Are fascinated with concurrency, parallelism and distributed systems
- Have participated in Open Source software development and/or communities
- Advocate for testing and agile development best practices
- Make pragmatic design tradeoffs, balancing features, maintainability and delivery time
- Communicate well, internally and externally, both in writing and face-to-face
- Lift the skills and expertise of those around you
- Are excited by our mission and values
- The Ruby driver and BSON gem for MongoDB
- Mongoid, an object-document mapper for MongoDB
- Testing, delivering and supporting these libraries across multiple operating systems and versions of MongoDB
- Working with our Product and Server teams on designs and specifications for new customer-facing MongoDB features
- Investigating bugs and support requests from commercial and Open Source customers for the libraries you maintain
- Seeking out speaking or writing opportunities to evangelize to developer communities
- Mentoring junior engineers, in both technical and non-technical professional skills
- Within three months, you'll know most of the codebase you are responsible for and will be contributing effectively day-to-day fixing bugs and implementing already-planned features, and doing peer code-review
- Within six months, you'll have contributed to the roadmap for our products and led the design and specification of new features; you'll have the trust of the team and our internal customers
- Within a year, you'll have delivered several new releases of our software, will have significantly improved the quality, performance and maintainability of our codebase, and will have contributed to the shaping of MongoDB within the Ruby community
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.*