Senior Software Engineer - APIs
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
What You’ll Do:
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Cloud Services team within HomeAway’s Cloud Platform Engineering Team. As a Cloud Services leader, you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering empowerment. The Cloud Services team enables developer productivity and velocity through an automated Multi-PaaS cloud infrastructure.This platform is rooted in the principle of infrastructure as code and isconstantly evolving and integrating new and interesting technologies. You’ll be expected to continually learn and utilize the latest open-source tools available to enable a seamless experience between our bare metal, public and private cloud environments.
What You’ll Get:
As a leader you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting the environments used by all of HomeAway's engineers globally. You’ll have the chance to drive the development experience on the bleeding edge of cloud technologies. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a credible team where people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast-paced eCommerce industry all while working in an incredible office space!
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the services and APIs that comprise our multi-PaaS software system.
- Working with our internal business partners to gather requirements
- Developing enterprise multi-PaaS software application utilizing object oriented methodologies
- Developing unit tests, functional tests, and integration test frameworks for distributed systems
- Performing peer reviews, code walk throughs, and weekly demos
- CI/CD pipeline management for infrastructure components
- Must have the ability to be a self-starter and work independently on technical projects but also work collaboratively with project team members through an agile development process that promotes constant team communication
- Must have excellent communication skills to assist in conducting user interview sessions, requirements gathering, and design reviews
- Programming skills – You are comfortable writing code in multiple languages, confident in choosing the right strongly or dynamically typed language for the job. Preferred language familiarity: Java, Node JS,Ruby, Scala, Go
- Database skills – You understand the use cases for relational and non-relational data, you’ve implemented code against several different database platforms.
- Development experience - Java Web Applications, Service Oriented Architecture and Micro-Services
- Knowledge of configuration management tools, monitoring tools, cloud platforms, and software delivery tools
- Experience with Java and NodeJS, Ruby, Python, Go, Scala, etc.
- Experience with SQL Queries, performance tuning and management of map reduce jobs
- Some experience with Mesos, Docker, AWS, Azure, VMWare,etc.
- Experience with Consul, DataDog, Kafka, Splunk, Vault preferred
- Committed to Open Source Projects. Please provide Github links if appropriate
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Conduct code walk-throughs, peer reviews, and produce technical documentation
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”