Senior Software Engineer, Bioinformatics Technologies at Invitae
Recruiter: Joshua Cleveland
Hiring Manager: Even Cheng
Senior Software Engineer, Bioinformatics Technologies
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae is looking for a full-stack Senior Software Engineer to join our Bioinformatics Technologies Team. You will work alongside software engineers, clinical geneticists, and lab scientists to further deliver on our mission to bring genetic information into mainstream medical practice. You will lead the design conversation with partners, help to make architectural decisions, and mentor other developers on technical fronts. You will build software applications to better analyze and visualize clinical genomic data, evaluate data quality, and automate lab and bioinformatics processes. Our ideal candidate is an organized problem solver with an eye for automation, and an equally excellent communicator.What you’ll do:
- Design and implement web applications to visualize and interact with genomic data
- Participate in architecture decisions and provide technical mentorship to junior developers
- Coordinate with Users, Computing, and other Development teams
- Advocate for engineering excellence and communicate the benefits of standard methodologies to the team
- Recognize production scalability bottlenecks, investigate their causes, and engineer lasting solutions
- Proficiency to develop in a UNIX environment with shell scripts
- 5+ years experience in full-stack web development, including frameworks (eg. Django, Flask, React)
- 3+ years experience in SQL and noSQL datastores
- 1+ years of experience in DevOps (eg. Docker, CI/CD, Jenkins)
- Can communicate and connect with non-technical partners and work as a team
- Experience with working in a team and results-based environment
- Preferred: Experience in biology, bioinformatics, or healthcare related industry
- Preferred: Experience in NGS bioinformatics (eg. samtools, bwa, Picard, GATK, pandas)
- Preferred: Experience with LIMS and working in a lab environment
- Preferred: Experience with data visualization (eg. matplotlib, plotly, D3)
- Preferred: Experience with performance monitoring & alerting (eg. New Relic, Pagerduty)
- Preferred: Experience with successfully triaging and resolving production incidents
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our multifaceted organization, which has been crafted to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients! We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us!
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.