Senior Software Engineer - Connected Intelligence at Civitas Learning
Civitas Learning is bringing together the best of new technology, design thinking, and data science in our mission to help one million more students graduate each year. We are building a data platform and cloud-based applications to deliver insights and action analytics to the frontlines of education. We are looking for insanely talented people who want to jump in and roll up their sleeves with us to make it all happen, and do the best work of their careers.
We are looking for dedicated engineers to be part of a talented, mission-driven team that is building powerful tools that will greatly increase student success. As a Senior Software Engineer on the Connected Intelligence team, you will have the unique opportunity to act as a bridge between product engineering and data science. You will be tasked with building new product features as well as working with our data science team to support and extend our industry leading predictive and prescriptive analytics capabilities. You will demonstrate a relentless pursuit of both quality and usability while maximizing application capabilities with the fewest number of components and technologies.
Primary Responsibilities and Character Traits:
- Work effectively with other talented engineers in creative problem solving and design thinking, including component design, component selection, coding, and testing.
- Help to prioritize features and capabilities to realize outcomes with agility.
- Have best practices at your fingertips with a focus on business value, scalability, performance, and maintainability.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field.
- 6+ years programming experience with a focus on Java.
- Experience developing multi-tenant “Big Data” type platform technologies.
- Experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Scrum, etc.).
Must have expertise in some of the following:
- RDBMS (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.), being proficient with SQL
- Experience in designing and building RESTful, multi-tenant services
- Apache Spark
Experience with some of the following is a huge bonus:
- Spring based microservices/Spring Boot
- Model Management Tools (MLflow, Sagemaker)
- Data Collection technologies (Kafka, Kinesis, StreamSets, etc.)
- Git (or other modern source control)
- Build Management (Gradle, Maven, etc.)
- Runtime Configuration Management (e.g. 12 Factor Apps)
- Continuous Build Systems (Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.)
- Containers and related technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS, etc.)
- Economical cloud computing strategies and architecture (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Development practices that build security into the technology stack
- Working knowledge of basic statistics and data science techniques
About Civitas Learning:
Civitas Learning partners with universities and colleges dedicated to helping more students learn well and finish strong. We provide tools and services for educators that bring together and make the most of their diverse and disconnected data streams; personalize information and support for their students; and deepen understanding of the impact of their student-success initiatives. Through our work together, our partners are empowering leaders, advisors, faculty, & students—and measurably improving enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning has more than 350 colleges and universities as customers, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of customers, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.
Civitas Learning is located in the heart of downtown Austin, directly across from Lady Bird Lake and the Austin Hike and Bike Trail. Civitas offers a comprehensive benefits package including a company-wide bonus program, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, onsite paid parking, 401-K Program and a flexible paid time off policy. Civitas Learning is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.