Senior Software Engineer, Enterprise Tools at MongoDB
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $106B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Developer Tools team is responsible for multiple products that enhance the MongoDB developer experience. These products are:
Compass is the desktop GUI for MongoDB, written using a web stack (Node.js, React, Redux) inside Electron. Compass utilises a modular architecture to allow sharing components with other products, such as MongoDB Atlas and MongoDB Charts.
MongoDB VS Code Extension
The MongoDB VSCode Extension is published to the Visual Studio Marketplace for use in Microsoft’s popular IDE. The extension allows data exploration and MongoDB script testing with intelligent auto completion. It is written in Typescript in a Node.js/Electron environment.
Our team is seeking a Senior Full Stack Developer with a passion for visual and architectural design and solving sophisticated engineering problems in rapid release cycles. As a member of the Developer Tools team, you will be providing innovations that lead our industry as there are few precedents for what we do in the big-data space. If you are up to this challenge we would love to hear from you!
What we offer
- Currently, we are a fully remote team of amiable individuals based in Berlin and New York.
- We meet in person often to collaborate (usually in Berlin!)
- We have flexible working hours that let us get things done and allow us to have the work-life balance we individually require
- As a team we tackle exciting and pleasantly challenging problems: everything from reengineering our build system, to writing an in-browser language-to-language compiler
- We care about individual professional and personal growth
- We offer competitive salary and equity (RSUs) in MongoDB
The right candidate for this role will
- have experience working with a distributed agile team that optimally delivered multiple products/releases
- demonstrate empathy, curiosity, kindness, and a drive to always learn something new
- be a mentor, a communicator, a programmer, and a teammate
- be a forward-thinking person with an unwavering respect for diversity and inclusion
- possess a good eye for building aesthetically pleasing and highly usable software
- enjoy working with data and ideally have experience with database management systems
- deliver complete features in an agile process with a Europe based team
- review your team’s code and be responsible for delivering quality features on time
- mentor junior engineers, collaborate with peers, share your knowledge
- research solutions for ambitious problems, build prototypes and proof of concepts to evaluate possible alternatives
- occasional travel to places like New York City and London to collaborate with remote team members (in the post COVID world)
Within three months: you will have
- become familiar with our code base and development process
- participated in code reviews
- contributed to the implementation of several small features and bug fixes
- forged a successful partnership with your manager and peers
- delivered at least one release of our product
Within six months, you will have
- collaborated with our designers to turn design prototypes into working features
- owned and delivered features on predictable time frames
- provided guidance on technical design to extend current software and/or develop new software
- contributed to writing scope and design documents
- actively participated in quarterly planning
Within 12 months, you will have
- listened to user feedback and feature requests
- delivered and demoed complex features
- collaborated with other teams in the company
- influenced the product roadmap
- interviewed new candidates to grow our team
- pair-programmed with and mentored junior engineers
At MongoDB, we value inclusiveness, diversity, collaboration and intellectual honesty. Find out more about our culture and values here: https://www.mongodb.com/company#core-values
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.