Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae’s Research Team needs a Senior Software Engineer to help us achieve our mission. The Research Team is a cross-functional group of AI engineers and scientists, software engineers, bioinformaticians, and assay development scientists that collaborate with Product, Development, Operations, and Laboratory organizations to drive decision-making and data-driven product development at Invitae. The team leads high-risk/high-impact projects, engages in internal and external collaborations, regularly partners with our executive team, and develops key strategic frameworks for all business areas. Our team is expanding rapidly and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
We are looking for someone that has an “anything is possible” mindset, balanced by a keen attention to engineering and product development details. You work efficiently and obsess about making your product better for internal users, our customers, and patients. You want to make a difference by improving global health care and are motivated to make it happen. You are collaborative and enjoy working with a strong interdisciplinary team. Once you’re up to speed, you are expected to work independently to deliver robust & reproducible results.What you’ll do:
- Help scale wet-lab experiments using automation, assisting the lab in starting with a variety of clinical and cell-based samples
- Pilot cutting-edge technologies in collaboration with a highly collaborative cross-functional team
- Play a key role in innovating and scaling Invitae’s capabilities as we move toward our goal of making affordable and comprehensive genetic/multi-omic testing a reality
- Use cutting edge, cloud-native, technologies like Kubernetes, containers, and service mesh to enable efficient development across the company.
- Build scalable mobile and web-based applications using TypeScript, React and React Native.
- Make use of next-generation cloud services to build comprehensive experiences for the rest of engineering.
- Set design principles and define shared patterns that engineers leverage across the company.
- Write structured, testable, readable, and maintainable code.
- Support your teammates by continuing to learn and grow in an environment where failure is a part of learning, and being a novice is celebrated.
- Demonstrated experience with distributed systems, full-stack architecture, and engineering
- Proficiency in a frontend technical stack from infrastructure to application code. We use React and Typescript to build our web-based applications and React Native for our mobile-based applications.
- Hands-on experience with databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, etc.). Tuning and query optimization a plus.
- Experience in shipping multiple mission-critical systems to production
- Experience in supporting engineering teams and production systems
- A demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and new programming languages
- A passion for personal and professional growth
- A desire to operate with freedom and accountability. A willingness to take risks and ownership of those risks.
- Excellent asynchronous communication skills. Experience with distributed, remote teams is a plus.
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.