Senior Software Engineer, Ruby or Scala (Mobile Team)
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market and enterprise businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
On the Mobile Team, we build and extend the services responsible for powering our native iOS and Android mobile applications. In this role, you’ll help drive functionality by taking API & event-based solutions from idealization to delivery. You’ll work closely with other engineers, UI designers, and product managers to help define stories, assess the scope and technical concerns as well as advocate for best practices that improve software quality.
Our primary languages are Ruby, Scala, Swift, Kotlin, PHP, and React + TypeScript. Architecturally we use REST APIs, gRPC, and we leverage a host of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools. This team will be working on greenfield projects and building an array of mobile applications and APIs for the BigCommerce platform.
You can learn more about our mobile platform here:
What You’ll Do
- Build world class highly-available, redundant, and scalable distributed systems & APIs
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Collaborate with our product and design teams to define feature specifications and timelines
- Engage in technical discussion of new solutions and architectures
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
What You May Have
- Domain driven design experience heavily preferred
- Experience working as the main backend developer on a small team
- Think iteratively by breaking down problems into smaller, deliverable / deployable pieces.
- Knowledge of gRPC, RabbitMQ, and familiarity with caching solutions
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Cloud Computing highly desirable
- Knowledge of functional programming paradigm with reactive design patterns
- Experience in highly scalable service-oriented architectures
- Solid UNIX knowledge
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- On-site Interview
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.