Senior Software Engineer - Scala
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin 2017 is looking for a Senior Software Engineer for our Omni-channel team. BigCommerce has established itself as the leading SaaS platform for merchants to build and grow their businesses via online storefronts. The Omni-channel team seeks to take things to the next level by building cutting edge innovations in commerce allowing our merchants to manage and sell their products beyond just their online storefronts to where their customers are.
This growing team is looking for an engineer with strong technical experience who will focus on iteratively improving the Omni-channel experience for our merchants. In the last year, we have established ourselves as the leading e-commerce, Omni-channel solution providing best-in-class integrations with Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Square and more, exciting integrations on the way!
In this role, you’ll help us build out a solid Omni platform allowing rapid growth of new channels available to our merchants. You’ll also work closely with other engineers, UI designers and product managers to define stories, assess scope and technical concerns as well as advocate for best practices that improve software quality.
BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skillset and take ideas from inception to delivery.
What You’ll Do
- Build highly-available, highly-performant, redundant, scalable distributed systems
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Work closely with operations and infrastructure to improve the architecture while building and scaling back-end services
Who You Are
- At least 6 years of professional experience as a Software Engineer
- 4+ years of professional experience with Java/Scala
- 2+ years of professional experience with Scala a strong plus
- Knowledge of object-oriented and functional programming, reactive and asynchronous design patterns
- Experience in developing high performance, scalable and available web services
- Knowledge of highly scalable architectures and understanding of the JVM
- Familiarity with agile methodologies and ticketing systems such as JIRA
- Knowledge of Akka, RabbitMQ, and Redis
- Solid UNIX knowledge
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST API providers that can span multiple code sets, fail gracefully, and be highly extensible
- Experience with Full Stack Development and OOP/MVC design patterns/principles a plus
- Experience building or managing distributed and/or service-oriented architectures
- Experience with SaaS platforms or Cloud Computing highly desirable
- Experience with application optimization and architecture
- Have a demonstrated ability to get shit done
Our mission is to revolutionize commerce, bringing online selling and features once reserved for multi-billion-dollar companies to the masses. To make that a reality, we need exceptional people to build, support and grow our platform. If that’s you, come join a fast-growing company with more than 85,000 clients, a great culture, outstanding benefits and $125 million in funding from visionary investors like Steve Case's Revolution Partners, Softbank, Amex and Telstra.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven team building activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events