Senior Software Engineer, Security at Invitae
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The mission for our Cloud Platform team is to create the systems upon which the rest of Invitae is built. It provides self-service tooling, automation, and application deployment technology to support Invitae’s efforts to expand genetic services.
The genetic testing space is moving and expanding quickly. In support of the Invitae mission, our engineering team needs to continue to move faster but with a greater focus on safety. We take the security and privacy of our users’ healthcare information very seriously as our brand promise begins with a strong level of trust.
We are building security fundamentals directly into the DNA of the platform by offering common functionality like authentication, authorization, secret management, and making secure development and operational methodologies the default.
We are looking for a software engineer who wants to build this platform and ensure security and privacy across all of our customer and patient experiences.
What you'll be doing:
- Solve whole classes of security issues with reusable services and libraries
- Build and extend systems and services that will securely transmit and store sensitive data
- Create shared patterns for secure services and drive adoption of these patterns
- Participate in code reviews and identify security issues
- Work with product teams to plan and implement security features at the platform level
- Build authentication, authorization, encryption, and key/secret management solutions
- Collaborate with product and engineering to balance security risk with product advancement
- Support security features in our production environment
- Facilitate problem-solving across teams and groups
- Translate business requirements across the company to best-in-class experiences
- Being hands-on with our engineering solutions and driving technical excellence within the team
What you bring:
- Significant experience and passion for building security-focused platforms and customer-facing applications that perform at scale
- Software engineering fundamentals with front-end and back-end applications
- Experience working with multiple programming languages and switching between frameworks as necessary - Python, Kotlin, Scala, and Go
- Experience successfully triaging and resolving security bugs and incidents
- Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills across engineering organizations
- Experience building identity, authentication, authorization and secrets management systems
- Experience with Cloud native technologies like Kubernetes, service mesh, and container security.
- Experience threat modeling new and existing applications
- Knowledgeable in secure development practices and common vulnerabilities
- Passionate about creating great developer experiences for security features and services
- Worked extensively with cloud providers such as AWS
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.