Senior Software Engineer - TypeScript / PHP (Website Team) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The Corporate Website (bigcommerce.com) and Customer Onboarding team is looking for a full stack Senior Software Engineer. Customized user experiences, flexible content management systems, and high traffic scalable services are all key focuses for this team. We are constantly testing, measuring, and implementing new features to help our customers sell more in less time.
The team works closely with Product, Marketing, Sales, and Support to deliver features that meet the needs of our end users (internally and externally). We work with design teams to create usable and beautiful front end pattern libraries, optimized user interfaces, and to attract new customers to BigCommerce.
We believe strongly in the value of good design and good testing, and we rely heavily on tools like New Relic, Sentry, and Kibana to know the status of 60,000+ merchants and millions of visitors that we serve. We don’t expect our new starters to be intimately familiar with all the tools we use, but if you are then we look forward to you sharing your expertise.
Who You Are
- You care about making a difference in the world through eCommerce
- You have a Bachelor's degree in CS, EE, SW, CE or MIS; or equivalent experience or completed either a comprehensive software engineering boot camp
- You’re a trusted professional with at least 5 years of experience building public websites using modern tools. You have ideas and opinions and you’ve tested and refined them through your work.
- You are proficient with both PHP and TypeScript. We prefer candidates with experience in React/Next.js, Craft CMS, DevOps, GCP, and Docker or other containerization technologies
- You have a solid understanding of modern programming and design principles. You write tested, maintainable code that you are proud of and you are committed to keeping code quality high
- You are passionate and knowledgeable on modern technologies and tools, without being biased toward a specific technology. You’re more interested in finding the right tools and patterns for the job
- You’re an excellent communicator. You can explain not just your ideas, but the reasons behind them, and you’re comfortable doing that in person, over slack or email, or in a code review
- You lead by example. You own your work and hold yourself responsible for results. You might still be developing your leadership qualities, but you aim to inspire the people around you
- You love to teach as well as to learn. You don't hesitate to ask for help and are always ready to provide help when needed because you want the whole team to grow
- You enjoy your work and care about your teammates. You think terrible puns are funny and are willing to get to know your teammates for more than just their code
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter phone screen
- Hiring manager screen
- Take Home Project
- Online code assessment/project review
- Final Stage / Technical Interview, Architectural Interview and Team Cultural
- Note: Visa work authorization sponsorship supported, and relocation assistance provided