Senior Software Engineer
Vrbo’s payment service is looking for a talented Java engineer to join the Financial Pipeline team and help lead the development of HomeAway’s financial pipeline platform. We use state of the art technology to stream real time financial events from our production ecommerce systems to power our big data platform, reactive streaming applications, reporting, business analysis, platform health monitoring, revenue recognition, invoicing, and tax remittance. These event streams are ~mission~ critical to our leadership team’s mission to provide the best possible service to our vacation rental travelers and partners.
As a senior member of the team, you will develop, test, support, and operate Java services and APIs built with Dropwizard, Kafka, MongoDB, and Amazon Web Services. You will integrate with Vrbo’s highly distributed SOA, composed of hundreds of separate services and applications, fronted by a highly adaptable web layer and backed by the latest data science and machine learning platforms. You’ll work in a motivated, fast-moving agile team and communicate directly with stakeholders, product management, and leadership. You will also be a part of the progressive, inclusive Vrbo development team, where learning is treasured and shared and innovation is rewarded.
What You'll Do
- Own new features from design to production release.
- Manage themselves to consistently deliver creative, reliable, and scalable creative solutions in a distributed SOA environment
- Conduct peer code reviews and is a resource for junior developers.
- Be able to work with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions both internally and across the organization.
- Maintain and grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly maintainable, reliable and monitored.
- Committed to ruthlessly rewriting, refactoring and perfecting code.
- Build applications and micro-services from concept to completion.
- Create and maintain quality software using best of breed tools like Git, Splunk, Jenkins, Sonar and so on.
- Ready to work to improve the services & clients experience.
- Be a mentor and role model for the team members at all experience levels.
Who You Are
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of professional, post-college, software development experience with Java.
- You have Excellent communication skills with the ability to work well across multiple departments.
- Deep knowledge of web services standards and related technologies
- Knowledge and experience in production server side development in Java.
- Experience with relational databases and nosql solutions (SQL Server, mongo, mysql etc.).
- Comprehension of HTTP, REST, and web services.
- Strong software development skills (configuration management, issue tracking, estimation, Agile/Scrum).
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.