Senior Software Engineer at Expedia Group
The Vacation Rental (VR) Bookings team, part of the Traveler Partners Group (TPG), is responsible for tools that property owners use to effectively manage bookings from inception through the duration of a traveler’s stay. We own the services that support capabilities such as accepting, editing, and canceling a booking, requesting and refunding payments, and understanding how much and when they earn on our platform.
This team is the core of the Expedia Group VR partner experience where 1.8M booking requests flow through annually for the 1M vacation rental properties.
What you’ll do:
As a senior engineer, you will extend outside of your direct organization and collaborate with peers across a senior level organization. Serving as a guide to others by sharing and helping junior associates in their duties. You will possess knowledge of features and facilities for integration, and communication among applications, databases, and technology platforms to bring together different components and form a fully functional solution to a business problem.
- Identify areas of improvement within the code and suggests solutions.
- Facilitate interactions among different partners with varied perspectives to develop effective solutions to issues.
- Spot outmoded methods of operation with current systems and design plans for redefining them in a non-disruptive manner.
- Report on the status of difficult or high-level projects to local tech leadership via written or oral means. Ensure documentation is complete.
Technologies we use:
Java11, Kotlin, gRPC, Spring Boot, OAuth, Aurora, Mongo DB, Redis Cache, SQL Server, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Data Dog, Splunk, GraphQL, Node.js, React, Redux, React Native, etc.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree or Masters in a related Technical field; or Equivalent related professional experience.
- Equivalent experience includes:
- Working in at least 2 multi-quarter projects as a part of a decentralized team and project.
- Formally mentoring several individuals and driving technical design end to end for at least 3 projects.
- Contributing to the engineering community through a blog post, open-source contribution, tech talks, etc.
- Ability to identify business problems at both the project and team level.
- Strong understanding of how team goals fit a business need.
- Strong in multiple technologies or languages and is a specialist in a given domain.
- Able to justify technology choices to technical and non-technical observers making well-defined choices.
- Guiding integrations across teams within a business unit.
- Able to understand highly sophisticated systems and craft moderately complex systems.
- Identifies and advocates for quality via testing, monitoring, and alerting at the project level.
- Has a detailed understanding of testing and monitoring tools and technologies.
- Guides others in the design of software that is easily testable and observable.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.