Senior Software Engineering Manager at WP Engine
Founded in Austin, Texas, by well-known serial entrepreneur Jason Cohen (@asmartbear), WP Engine has maintained its scrappy startup roots while experiencing striking growth. WP Engine has built the leading WordPress digital experience platform used by 80,000+ customers in 130+ countries and delivers an award-winning customer experience. This growth provides many opportunities for engineering managers at WP Engine to help solve hard problems at scale, yet we are still small enough for your contributions to have a noticeable impact on the company's future.
Our teams focus on regularly delivering high-quality, incremental software solutions that solve real customer problems. As an Engineering Manager, you will help speed delivery by removing obstacles and helping teams focus. Working at the intersection of people and technology, you will play a huge role in mentorship and career development while also helping the team make strong technical decisions. Because we see our culture as a competitive advantage, you will help hire the best and ensure that we provide an environment where the best get better.
WP Engine has been ranked 14th nationally as a top Midsized Workplace by Fortune Magazine.The day to day
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of hardworking engineers who are focused on building and automating tools on our platform and applications to make it more reliable, scalable, secure, and usable. You will...
- Provide support and assistance to engineering teams, including empowering them and helping remove impediments that reduce their ability to be effective.
- Advise and assist teams on technical difficulties that arise in the course of doing their work. Identify issues that teams might overlook, such as scalability, performance, security, etc. Develop their ability to independently identify and avoid issues.
- Guide the career development of team members, including both technical and non-technical skills necessary for being effective and successful in a professional software engineering organization.
- Provide performance feedback on a frequent basis, focused on recognition for achievement and opportunities for growth.
- Lead the recruitment and hiring of team members that reinforce our core values.
- Maintain familiarity with the tools and technologies that teams are using. Help identify new tools and technologies that could be useful and spend time gaining hands-on familiarity with them.
- Partner with Product Management on the product strategy and vision, and give feedback on the content and prioritization of the backlog and roadmap.
- Stay up to date on activities across our company, our competitors, and our largest customers, and ensure teams are informed about relevant developments.
- 7+ years experience in web applications development
- 3+ years experience leading development teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with Agile work processes and managing sprint cycles to ensure product ships on time and with quality
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous delivery with an emphasis on shipping code rapidly to production and learning/iterating on the results
- Desire to work with other functional groups to solve tough business problems with quality software at scale
- Solid understanding of service-oriented and event-driven system architectures to be able to reinforce patterns and best practices
- Deep understanding of developing applications for high performance and scale
- Experience working with global teams
- Proven ability to foster a collaborative, high-performing team environment, inspiring teams to achieve important goals together
- Strong ability to coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD, and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn't like time off?)
- Transportation (24x7 Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Monday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.