Senior Test Automation Engineer
At Self (formerly Self Lender), our mission is to help millions of people establish and build credit - especially those who are considered underserved or credit invisible. This is a rare chance to join a successful, venture backed startup based in Austin.
Developing a successful fintech company requires deep collaboration across our teams, dedication, and truly disrupting the way the industry thinks about things. Our team is passionate about empowering people to take control of their credit and challenging the status quo of accessing and building credit. Understanding our consumers is core to our growth in the years to come.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve been busy growing our business and scaling our operations to fit our growth.
We're looking for a self starter with a high attention to detail and experience in building best in class test automation systems. A key part of this role will be understanding when to build and when to buy to support scaling and speed. This role will interact heavily with engineering to build the tests required to make sure our systems can be deployed frequently and with minimal risk of errors.
As a test automation engineer, you will take ownership of the testing framework for our mobile app, website, and API services. You will be responsible for choosing the toolset, design and implementation of our test automation systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or bachelor’s degree in a STEM field.
- 3+ years of software industry experience (or 2+ years with Masters/PhD).
- Solid understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Strong understanding of build vs buy, and the balance of opportunity cost.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Ability to work in a Unix-based operating system (Linux, MacOS).
- Expertise with one or more test automation frameworks and tools like Selenium, Katalon Studio, Test Complete, WebDriver, Cypress, Puppeteer, Nightwatch.
- Good exposure to Mobile Testing on iOS and Android platforms with tools like Appium, Calabash.
- Experience working with cloud-based device farms like AWS Device Farm.
- Experience with automated visual regression testing.
- Strong understanding of REST and demonstrated experience with REST APIs testing.
- Experience interacting with continuous integration tools like Jenkins, Gitlab, Travis, TeamCity.
- Experience with UI performance testing using tools such as Locust, Jmeter, Gatling.
- Experience testing web applications developed using modern front end frameworks like React is a plus.
- Experience with GraphQL and testing GraphQL services is a plus.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create, extend, and maintain the infrastructure that executes automated tests against the website and mobile app.
- Design, develop, and maintain automated test applications with appropriate modern technologies. You will have the opportunity to shape our testing approach and philosophy.
- As required, perform manual tests to fill in functional gaps not covered by the automation test suite.
- Work with the engineering team to expand the scope of the automation framework to cover areas such as load, stress, performance, and security testing.
- Work with the release management team to deliver releases.
- Keep a learning mindset - look for opportunities to continuously improve yourself, our products, and the practices that we use to build and maintain our products.