Senior Test Automation Engineer at Self Financial
At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. We want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great.
We want you to bring your unique perspective, experience and skills to help improve the financial well-being of millions of people.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve been busy growing our business and scaling our operations to fit our growth.
About the role:
We're looking for a self starter with a high attention to detail and experience in building best in class test automation systems. A key part of this role will be understanding when to build and when to buy to support scaling and speed. This role will interact heavily with engineering to build the tests required to make sure our systems can be deployed frequently and with minimal risk of errors.
As a test automation engineer, you will take ownership of the testing framework for our mobile app, website, and API services. You will be responsible for choosing the toolset, design and implementation of our test automation systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or bachelor’s degree in a STEM field.
- 3+ years of software industry experience (or 2+ years with Masters/PhD).
- Solid understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Strong understanding of build vs buy, and the balance of opportunity cost.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Ability to work in a Unix-based operating system (Linux, MacOS).
- Expertise with one or more test automation frameworks and tools like Selenium, Katalon Studio, Test Complete, WebDriver, Cypress, Puppeteer, Nightwatch.
- Good exposure to Mobile Testing on iOS and Android platforms with tools like Appium, Calabash.
- Experience working with cloud-based device farms like AWS Device Farm.
- Experience with automated visual regression testing.
- Strong understanding of REST and demonstrated experience with REST APIs testing.
- Experience interacting with continuous integration tools like Jenkins, Gitlab, Travis, TeamCity.
- Experience with UI performance testing using tools such as Locust, Jmeter, Gatling.
- Experience testing web applications developed using modern front end frameworks like React is a plus.
- Experience with GraphQL and testing GraphQL services is a plus.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create, extend, and maintain the infrastructure that executes automated tests against the website and mobile app.
- Design, develop, and maintain automated test applications with appropriate modern technologies. You will have the opportunity to shape our testing approach and philosophy.
- As required, perform manual tests to fill in functional gaps not covered by the automation test suite.
- Work with the engineering team to expand the scope of the automation framework to cover areas such as load, stress, performance, and security testing.
- Work with the release management team to deliver releases.
- Keep a learning mindset - look for opportunities to continuously improve yourself, our products, and the practices that we use to build and maintain our products.
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Free gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Catered company lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Team happy hours and events
- Downtown Austin office space
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.