Senior UI Engineer
Who We Are
DISCO is a legal tech software company. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. Given the massive growth of data over the last 20 years, poorly built legal technology products have severely decreased lawyers ability to practice the law.
Our fundamental mission includes building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products released over the next 10 years. Great technology can solve problems of scale in data, in laws, and in business operations that have distracted lawyers from doing what they went to law school to do. DISCO is fixing the law by automating the parts of the practice that can be automated so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that really do require human legal judgment.
To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenants in our “product first” business strategy and culture.
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- DISCO is a very successful company more than doubling revenue every year for the last 5 years. We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%, pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’re going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high level of talent at DISCO, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization from 85 professional to 500+. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
If you want to win while getting better than you’ve ever been, come to DISCO.
As a Senior UI Engineer, you will build high-quality software delivering feature sets that delight customers while driving the UI architecture and backend orchestration layer towards our aspirational goal of everything being ‘well-crafted’.
What You'll Be Doing
- Be part of an autonomous, cross-functional team designing, building and operating strategic, user-focused feature sets.
- Work on a modern ‘micro-frontend’ architecture designed to facilitate the development of high-quality software across multiple high-velocity, independent teams.
- Build a highly responsive Document Viewer that supports multiple native file types (PDF, Excel, Video, etc.) while providing easy-to-use facilities to augment the data with complex, domain-specific work product.
- Create an intuitive facility for users to build complex search queries that remain responsive while spanning terabytes of data.
Skills You Have...
- 7+ years of front-end development experience.
- Enjoy the challenges of architecting a ‘micro-frontend’ architecture that does not compromise UX and end-user performance SLAs.
- Experience designing and implementing a layered application architecture that can be easily changed to accommodate evolving business requirements.
- Experience designing and communicating external and internal architectural perspectives of well-encapsulated systems.
Even Better If...
- You have experience in startup environments delivering high-quality solutions.
- You have experience using Feature or Release Toggles as a code branching strategy.
- You have experience identifying, selecting and extending 3rd party components (commercial or open source) that provide operational leverage.
- You have experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment environments with an emphasis on a well-maintained testing pyramid.
DISCO's Technology Stack
UI Architecture: React, Redux, redux-saga, Styled Components, Jest/Enzyme, etc.
Cloud Provider - AWS: EC2, Lambda, Aurora MySQL, Redshift, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, SageMaker, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry
3rd Party Vendors: Redis, Auth0 for Cloud Identity Federation (SSO, etc)
AI: MinHash, FastText, Convolution Neural Nets, Algorithmia (Lambda with GPUs) for training, PyTorch, Recurrent Neural Networks, Latent Dirichlet Allocation for Topic Modeling, etc
CI/CD: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Jenkins, CodePipeline, GitHub, Artifactory Consul for App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets
Visibility: ELK Stack for logging, Data Dog, New Relic, Sentry.io
Transport Mechanisms: Protobuf, Avro, HTTP Rest/JSON
What You'll Get
What You'll Get
- Competitive salary
- Opportunity to be a part of a start-up culture — fastest growing company in its space
- Career advancement opportunities
- Company volunteer/fundraising activities
- Flexible & open PTO
- Onsite gym & showers
- Free catered lunches as well as free snacks and beverages
- Onsite car wash
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance and disability benefits
DISCO is the leading provider of e-discovery solutions for law firms, corporations, and government agencies. With technology and services that automate and simplify complex and error-prone tasks that distract from practicing law, DISCO empowers lawyers and their teams to effectively manage discovery processes. DISCO is the e-discovery choice of leading U.S. law firms including litigation boutiques and AmLaw, Fortune 500 companies, as well as government agencies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description