Site Reliability Engineer II
BigCommerce, named a 2017 “Best Place to Work” in Austin is looking for a driven, Site Reliability Engineer for our Austin Downtown office. As an engineer working on site reliability, you’ll work with others to ensure the BigCommerce platform is available, reliable, and fast. Your team is made up of other Site Reliability Engineers, but you’ll work closely with Infrastructure Engineering creating and planning projects to help with our goals. Our team is responsible for 24x7 operation of our infrastructure and services, which includes responding in real time to incidents. It is a fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure our platform exceeds availability, capacity, scalability, and performance goals.
- Proactively monitor system performance, client-to-database.
- Analyze and tune our systems. Identify bottlenecks. Forecast demand. Plan capacity.
- Communicate with other engineers/stakeholders: describe problems succinctly to enable issue management.
- Encourage engineering ownership of products in production.
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a global team.
Who you are:
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years managing customer-facing, high-availability, large scale web-based applications, including load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies.
- Eagerness to learn new languages and technologies.
- Deep understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP, caching, load balancing, and databases.
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL) tuning and optimization. Memcached, Redis, and Elasticsearch are also nice.
- Experience with tools such as Nagios, New Relic, Graphite, and statsd.
- Puppet experience and desire to gain more.
- A team player and fast learner, with a focus on getting it done.
- Maintain calm in crisis: balance judgement with courage to fix production problems.
- Have passion for building and operating large-scale commerce systems.
- Thrive working on concurrent problems, including issue triage and prioritization.
- Drive issues to completion. Marshal resources in high-pressure situations.
- Obsessive in a good way: write clean, comprehensible, and well-documented code.
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven team building activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events