Site Reliability Manager
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Site Reliability Manager, Austin TX
H-E-B Digital is seeking new team members (Partners)! Since our inception, we’ve been investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we’re hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. We’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption—like Curbside and Home Delivery—so you’ll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
As a Manager of Engineering, you’ll raise up your team, helping develop individual careers and achieving goals, spotting and addressing common team problems, and coaching and mentoring those identified for potential company leadership. You’ll work closely with stakeholders from product and design, and other engineering leaders, to provide high-quality, repeatable technology delivery for the digital engineering organization. You’ll provide leadership across all aspects of development to maintain a high bar for technology, people, and process.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Engineering Manager job, that means you have a…
HEART FOR PEOPLE… you have a passion for mentorship and guidance, and love for the direct person-to-person interactions that create strong bonds between teams
HEAD FOR BUSINESS… you have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of timely delivery of high-quality software
PASSION FOR RESULTS… the ability to guide the discussion, remove roadblocks, and provide guardrails for your team as they identify challenges and propose solutions
What you’ll do at HEB:
Site Reliability Managers at HEB own the end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services. As managers, you’ll also lead by example, develop your team, and establish credibility with the quality of your team's technical execution. The Site Reliability Engineering team tackles some of the most complex software and systems issues on the planet. As an SRM, you'll be responsible for the design, build and development of massively distributed, fault-tolerant software systems and infrastructure, encompassing all of our products and services. This can range from distributed change propagation on live serving systems, to implementing and evangelizing best practices, or designing distributed hash tables and implementing automation and monitoring solutions.
Who You Are
- You have experience leading technical teams to deliver product features and platform improvements
- You have 4+ years as a Software Engineer and have successful leadership (of small teams of 4 – 8) experience
- Experience managing teams that work with large data sets, ETL, streaming, eventing & messaging, & multi-cloud environments.
- You're passionate about building and mentoring high performing engineering teams
- You have software development experience complex software and systems issues.
- You have experience using agile methodologies to plan and deliver increments of functionality
- You love the idea of using technology and data to power unique user experiences
- You focus on producing results and have a creative mindset to push beyond boundaries
- You have keen instincts for analytical analysis, technical discernment, and risk assessment
- You have 2+ years of experience in engineering management experience
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technical discipline
What You'll Do
- You will recruit, coach and grow high performing engineers
- You will lead project management for your team, and take ownership of your team's delivery in close collaboration with product management, business analysts, designers, and other engineering teams
- You will drive iterative and on-time delivery of software
- You'll guide team members to make sound technical decisions
- You will guide your engineers to deliver technology solutions to improve user experience and drive business value
- You will champion engineering best practices such as code reviews and test automation
- You'll identify recurring issues and opportunities to improve the engineering process, employees’ success, and business success.
- H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $26 billion.
- We hire talented people (116,000+ Partners), and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We're a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise – Because People Matter
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values, and support them with thriving company-wide programs
- We're a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. “Partner-owned” means our most important resources—People—drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company