Software Architect, Higher Education
About the role:
Blackbaud is looking for a Software Engineer, Architect to work on Blackbaud Award Management, a market-leading scholarship solution. As part of the agile teams, the architect assists in design problems, platform best practices and ensures that every application is implemented according to acceptable design, quality, performance, and security standards. They formulate high-level estimates for analyses, project planning, and impact assessments and demonstrates the ability to work with team members with varying degrees of technical depth and breadth of knowledge. The architect will also analyze and recommend technology strategies where gaps exist including performing proofs-of-concept as needed.
What you'll be doing:
Collaborate with product owners and other business partners to understand and refine business requirements that drive the architecture
Work closely with engineers to create and document the detailed application design
Perform code and design reviews as needed and serve as a mentor to other engineers on the team
Collaborate with other engineers and architects to create integration strategies between systems
Work with the infrastructure teams to ensure the software is effectively mapped to a hardware implementation
Collaborate with IT Security to ensure solutions comply with corporate and regulatory policies
Performs proofs-of-concept as needed to determine technology solutions
Evaluate legacy and current applications, its architecture, database design, etc. to make recommendation on improvements on design, performance, and quality
Identify and champion reuse opportunities and ensure consistent practices across enterprise initiatives
What we'll want you to have:
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or possess equivalent work experience
- 8+ years relevant Software Engineering experience
- Experience with some of the following technologies, and desire to learn additional technologies as necessary: Ruby on Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Angular, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, PostgresQL, build/continuous integration
- Experience leading Software Engineering teams or mentoring engineers
- Experience in design and development of complex web-based, high transaction, high volume, distributed systems offered in a SaaS model
- Experience with software development methodologies such as agile and TDD, as well as data modeling, and database design.
- Knowledge of web services and related standards as well as distributed architectures, design patterns, and best practices.