Software Developer (Back-End) at Ascension
Software Developer (Back-End)
What You Will Do
Join a team of software engineers that are passionate about building cloud-based custom software using state-of-the-art solutions, frameworks, and tools. You will be applying your expertise to solve complex problems, and deliver high quality software solutions. Equally important will be your continual growth and development as a Software Engineering professional. At Ascension, your efforts will be making a significant contribution to the vital healthcare communities that we serve.
- Write new or enhance custom software as a member of your Agile scrum team. Successfully contributing to software that is complex, secure, cloud-native, scalable, performant, high user/data volume, and part of a highly available distributed system without introducing a regression in any of these aspects.
- Ensure that your solutions are written with quality in mind with unit and integration tests. Code is correct, clean and follows best practices.
- Regularly participate in scrum activities, technical design, design reviews, code reviews and status updates.
- Work with team members to ensure that delivered code meets specifications based on functional/technical specifications
- Grow your knowledge of the solution areas that you represent.
- Grow your understanding of the value and impact that your solutions provide to Ascension and the community.
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Programming or substantially related field is required.
- Computer Science Bachelor's degree or degree in related field of study preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in OOAD, design patterns, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience with microservice design and development.
- Experience designing and developing cloud-native, scalable, and highly available distributed systems
- Strong understanding of relational and NoSQL databases (MySql, Postgres, Mongo etc), SQL, and database/schema design
- Experience designing, developing and consuming RESTful API's
- Experience with API gateways (e.g. Apigee, Kong)
- Experience with message broker/event queue technologies (e.g. Rabbit, Kafka)
- 2-6 years professional experience in software engineering.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing in Java8+/Spring Boot
- Experience with TDD/BDD/DDD using JUnit, Cucumber etc.
- Experience with PCF and GCP
Characteristics We Seek:
- Be curious about technology. The software engineering industry is constantly changing and evolving. At Ascension, we embrace change and are curious to learn how the latest technology can be used to improve the lives of patients and our clinicians.
- Learn and grow professionally. We strive for continuous improvement of our Digital Studio organization and our team members do the same. This comes from the path of constant learning, in addition to reflecting on past experiences for improvement opportunities.
- Always ready for change. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and neither do we. We accept that change is always around us, and our work is no exception. We navigate change through early and often communication; engage the ambiguous; promote diversity; accept new ideas; and lean on learning agility.
- Seek feedback. Feedback is important to us. We use it as a guide for our own development, and we build our software with feedback built into the process. It is incorporated into our software development lifecycle with design, code reviews, unit tests, and continuous integration. Feedback is also integrated into our shipped solutions with application performance monitoring (APM) and usage analytics to help us learn methods to improve.
- Demonstrate positivity. Our organization's focus is all about solving problems, and most of these problems are challenging. We try not to let that get in our way of thinking positive -- instead it's what motivates us to reach higher.
- Work with your team. We understand that our best work comes from working together. Our teams enjoy working together, sharing knowledge, helping, mentoring, and delivering our best for the communities we serve.
- Live Ascension's core values. The Ascension core values are the standard that we hold ourselves to and a source of pride for us. We live by them. Our core values include: service of the poor; reverence; integrity; wisdom; creativity; and dedication.
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 150,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension Technologies is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.