Software Developer In Test, II (Ecosystems Team) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce, named a “Best Place to Work” in Austin, is looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test, II (SDET) with strong experience in agile testing and test automation to join our team focused on iteratively improving our Ecosystem experience for our merchants.
Who are we?
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
On the Ecosystem Team, we build and extend the tools, marketplaces, and frameworks that enable our partners to build rich applications that extend our commerce platform and integrate with a broad array of external services. Our primary languages are Ruby and React + TypeScript. Architecturally we use REST APIs, gRPC, and we leverage a host of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools.
Bigcommerce makes quality a cornerstone of our software development and delivery philosophy. Every day, we’re trusted to handle tens of millions of dollars of transactions through our platform. We cannot achieve this trust without a heavy focus on quality through automation.
In this role, you’ll help us build and extend a solid Ecosystem Platform. You’ll also work closely with software engineers, UI designers and product managers to define stories, acceptance scenarios, test plans/cases and advocate for best practices that improve software quality.
Ideal candidates will come from a strong business / technical background and have the ability to understand complex business requirements and technical architectures.
What You’ll Do
- Work with a product manager to define features, acceptance scenarios, and test cases
- Advocate for customer experience through consistency and simplicity
- Work with engineers to ensure test cases are reflected in code and automated tests
- Identify opportunities to use end to end tests to provide greater value and confidence around software
- Advocate for practices and tools that promote quality, such as solution design, effective unit testing, static analysis, etc.
- Identify relevant quality metrics for the team like error rates and thresholds
- Advocate for, implement and monitor tools that provide alerting on those metrics
- Investigate defects and produce minimum viable test cases to reproduce them
- Support frequent deployments to production
- Help foster a culture of pride and obsession around delivering quality software.
Who You Are
- You’ve got 5+ years experience in software development with a heavy focus on quality
- You’re passionate about the quality and integrity of software experiences
- You can empathies with and advocate for users
- Solid understanding the business and technical needs of feature development and can help product managers and engineers make decisions that deliver quality features in an optimised timeframe
- Great communication skills and can help facilitate meetings, discovery sessions, story writing and documentation
- Experience with automatic test frameworks like Selenium, PHPUnit, jUnit, RSpec, etc and understand their relative pros and cons
- You have experience with continuous integration tools like Travis, Circle, Bamboo, Jenkins
- Experience testing APIs using Postman, SoapUI, etc.
- You thrive working in an agile environment where individuals and interactions matter more than process
Other crucial skills:
- Have an excellent ability to communicate and coordinate
- Will speak up when something doesn’t feel right with constructive feedback
- Ability to identify application weaknesses and bad practices
- Have excellent problem solving, critical thinking and debugging skills
- Question everything, always
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.