Software Development Engineer III at Expedia Group
Software Development Engineer III
The Expedia Group Experimentation Platform team is responsible for building the systems and tools used across the company to implement the scientific method at enterprise scale. Our customers include Product Managers, Engineers and Analysts who use our tools to design and validate experiments that affect the millions of travelers and partner organizations using our brands and platforms daily.
Understanding and measuring the outcome of changes within our products is fundamental to the success of our business. The Experimentation Platform, working closely with our analytics partners, ensures we follow good scientific practices in order to drive positive outcomes across our products and services.
What you’ll do:
- You will team up with peers across the organization to build an understanding of cross dependencies and shared problem solving.
- You will participate in a community of practice to share and gain knowledge.
Leadership and Mentoring:
- You will seek new technical skills in an engineering area.
- You will share new skills and knowledge with your team to increase effectiveness.
Systems and Technological Integration:
- You will understand the relationship between applications, databases and technology platforms.
Application Development /Programming:
- You will develop and test complex or non-routine software applications and related programs and procedures to ensure they meet design requirements.
- You will write code that is clean, maintainable, optimized and modular with good naming conventions. You will also use software frameworks to write simpler code.
- You will apply your knowledge of databases, database design principles and big data tools to solve data requirements.
- You will lead/clarify code evolution in code reviews.
- You will coordinate bringing together different stakeholders with varied perspectives to develop solutions to issues and contribute your own suggestions.
- You will identify opportunities around policies/ processes to increase efficiency across organizational boundaries.
- You will assist with a whole systems approach to analyzing issues by ensuring all components (structure, people, process and technology) are identified and accounted for.
- You will spot areas of inefficiency in code, systems and processes and offer suggestions for improvements.
- You will compile and generate reports on major operational or technical initiatives (like RCAs) to larger groups, whether via written or oral means.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree or Masters in a related Technical field; or Equivalent related professional experience.
- Prior experience as a Software Engineer mentoring junior engineers and applying new engineering principles to improve existing systems including leading complex, well defined projects.
- Equivalent experience includes:
- Developed software in at least 3 different languages.
- Maintained/ran at least 4 software project/product in production environments (bug fixing, troubleshooting, monitoring etc.).
- Strong in 2+ of Java (8+), Node.js, React, Scala.
- Experienced with Kafka, Spring, AWS, Hive, Spark, Docker, GraphQL or Elastic Search in an enterprise setting.
- Able to identify strengths and weaknesses among languages for particular use cases.
- Able to create API's to be consumed across organizations and externally.
- Demonstrates the ability to select among technology available to implement and solve for need.
- Understanding how projects/teams interact with other teams.
- Able to understand and design moderately complex systems.
- Ability to test and monitor code at the project level.
- Understanding of testing and monitoring tools.
- Ability to debug applications.
- Ability to test, debug, fix issues within established SLAs.
- Able to design software that is easily testable and observable.
- Ability to identify business problems at the project level and provide solutions.
- Understands how teams' goals fit a business need.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.