Software Development Engineer III at Expedia Group
Have you ever had to cancel a dream vacation because of illness, injury, weather, or other unforeseen events? Perhaps you have had to deal with an unhappy property owner after accidentally damaging their beautiful vacation rental property! If so, then you know about the power of traveler insurance and property damage protection.
Vrbo is Expedia Group's world-class vacation rental focused brand. Vrbo's Value Added Services (VAS) team develops, maintains, and builds services and products for our travelers and partners. We offer products and services such as Travel Insurance, Damage Protection, and million-dollar Liability Protection help keep our travelers' vacation plans from being ruined and our partners' properties secure. Our team's full-stack solutions ensure our travelers have access to all the services they will need during their vacation.
Perhaps you are interested in making a positive impact on our diverse team with valuable contributions to our react.js codebase? Our products represent a substantial contribution to revenue for Expedia Group. Our products also provide Protection from risk as well as peace of mind for thousands of our partners and millions of travelers.
Help us save the day for travelers around the world by joining our team!
What you’ll do:
- Team up with peers across the organization to build an understanding of cross dependencies and shared problem-solving
- Seek, learn, and use new technical skills in an engineering area
- Share new skills and knowledge with the team to increase efficiency
- Understand the relationship between front end and back end technology platforms
- Develop and test sophisticated or non-routine software applications and related programs and procedures to ensure they meet design requirements
- Write code that is clean, maintainable, optimized, modular with good naming conventions. You will also use software frameworks to write simpler code
- Lead/clarify code evolution in code reviews and pull requests
- Bring together different partners with varied perspectives to develop solutions to issues and contributes own suggestions
- Assist with a whole systems approach to analyzing issues by ensuring all components (structure, people, process, and technology) are identified and accounted for
- Spot areas of inefficiency in code or systems operation and offer suggestions for improvements
- Compile and generate reports on major operational or technical initiatives (like RCAs) to larger groups, whether via written or oral means
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree or Masters in a related technical field or equivalent related professional experience
- Prior experience as a Software Engineer mentoring junior engineers and applying new engineering principles to improve existing systems including leading complex, well-defined project
- Crafted dynamic web pages in React
- Utilized with GraphQL to query back end services
Your equivalent experience:
- Maintained/ran at least 4 software project/product in production environments (bug fixing, troubleshooting, monitoring etc.)
- Strong in 2+ of languages and/or one language with multiple technology implementations
Your skills and abilities:
- Able to identify strengths and weaknesses among languages for particular use cases
- Able to understand and consume API's from existing services
- Demonstrates the ability to select among technologies available to implement and solve for the need
- Understanding how projects/teams interact with other teams
- Craft moderately complex systems
- Test and monitor code at the application level
- Understanding of testing and monitoring tools
- Able to debug web applications
- Able to test, debug, fix production issues within established SLAs
- Able to build software that is easily testable and observable
- Can understand how teams’ goals fit a business need
- Can identify business problems at the project level and provide solutions
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.