Software Development Engineer in Test II at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
In this role, you’ll help us build and extend our automated testing frameworks for our domains. You’ll work closely with software engineers, UI designers, and product managers to define stories, acceptance scenarios, test plans/cases and advocate for best practices that improve software quality. You’ll also have the opportunity to propose improvements to our existing processes and automated tools in order to improve the team’s speed, quality and efficiency.
What you’ll do
- Work with a product manager to define features, acceptance scenarios, and test cases
- Engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive, design and develop innovative applications
- Develop, execute and maintain software to test the product
- Identify opportunities to use end-to-end tests to provide greater value and confidence around software
- Advocate for practices and tools that promote quality, such as solution design, effective unit testing, static analysis, etc.
- Identify relevant quality metrics for the team like error rates and thresholds
- Advocate for, implement, and monitor tools that provide alerting on those metrics
- Investigate defects and produce minimum viable test cases to reproduce them
- Support frequent deployments to production
- Participate in and help lead technical discussions with other engineers on your team to understand and solve new challenges
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
- Help mentor and teach other engineers on the team
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
Who you are
- 3+ years of experience as an SDET, developer, or strong Automation Engineer
- BS/MS degree in CS, SWE, CE, EE or MIS; or equivalent experience
- A passion for the quality and integrity of software experience
- An understanding of the business and technical needs of feature development and can help product managers and engineers make decisions that deliver quality features
- Great communication skills and can help facilitate meetings, discovery sessions, story writing and documentation
- Experience with automated test frameworks like Selenium, PHPUnit, jUnit, RSpec, Codeception, etc. and understand their relative pros and cons
- Experience with continuous integration tools like Circle, Travis, or Jenkins
- Experience working in a UNIX / Linux environment and utilizing virtual machines
- Experience mentoring/training the engineering community on complex technical issues
Our Hiring Processes May Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter phone screen
- Hiring manager screening
- Online code assessment
- Final team interview